Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default C&R questions, People who have it can you answer some questions

I was giving serious thought to getting my C&R and have a few questions:

1. Does the ATF come to my house and do and inspection?

2. Is there an interview

3. It says I need to mail in copy 2 of the form for the Sheriff/Chief of Police to fill out. When the Chief fills it out, Does he mail it back to me or mail it back to the ATF.

4. I know Chief Ramsey won't fill out any thing NFA wise but how is he for C&R licenses?

(Erie County)

Default Re: C&R questions, People who have it can you answer some questions

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post

1. Does the ATF come to my house and do and inspection? they can but not necessarily, also they can come to check you books any time

2. Is there an interview no

3. It says I need to mail in copy 2 of the form for the Sheriff/Chief of Police to fill out. When the Chief fills it out, Does he mail it back to me or mail it back to the ATF. copy 2 is to notify local police / sheriff of intent to collect and they keep it. i tried to take mine to chief of police and they told me to take it to sheriff. sheriff contacted local chief and told them they could have taken it.

4. I know Chief Ramsey won't fill out any thing NFA wise but how is he for C&R licenses?
    sorry i can not help with this.
    also remember to fill in every thing or they will send it back i for got to sign cc authorization on mine. my local sheriff is / was great (retiring) when i took the paper to him we talked for about 1/2 hr

(Philadelphia County)

/\ /\ How many times have they come to check your books and how long have you had your C&R?

(Blair County)

1. Does the ATF come to my house and do and inspection?
    Nope

2. Is there an interview
    Nope

3. It says I need to mail in copy 2 of the form for the Sheriff/Chief of Police to fill out. When the Chief fills it out, Does he mail it back to me or mail it back to the ATF.
    You mail the 2nd copy to your sheriff and nothing happens after that, he just keeps it to have on file, nothing else is required of him or you.

Sheriffs dont fill out anything with a C&R license, you just provide them a copy for record keeping.

(Blair County)

It's pretty much the easiest process in the world, with almost zero interaction. Just fill it out, print, and mail to sheriff and ATF, wait a few weeks and you get the license then like a week later a packet of information.

They wouldn't come and check your book just for the sake of doing it I don't think.

(Bucks County)

I've had my C&R for three years now, and moved up here last year so had to re-file and change my address. I've never had them come by to look at my records. But, with that said, I have kept the record book like it should be kept.

You send a copy to the local Chief or Sheriff or drop it off, that's about it. I didn't have any interview either.

It seems that the days when C&R licenses really paid off are largely gone. There are some models that you can get now, but with the shipping charges and regulations that a lot of the companies go by, you end up paying so much to get the gun sent to you, you could have just gone down to a local gun store and bought the gun.

I've gotten close to ordering guns a few times, and then hit the wall where companies that sell the guns have to ship them next day express at the cost of $40-$50.

In certain situations, it may save you a few bucks not having to do a transfer at a regular FFL for a C&R gun that you're buying off of someone FTF.

Sadly, I think I missed the boat. 5-15 years ago, there were boat loads of surplus guns coming from overseas and even here in the states, now most of that has dried up.

Good luck, I hope you have better luck then I have. The license wasn't hard to get, it just hasn't really done anything for me so far.

~r~

(Lackawanna County)

Actually, the CLEO doesn't even get a copy; just a letter stating that you are applying for a C&R, and that no action is required on his part.

They CAN inspect if they care to, just keep your bound book accurately.

When my son was being evaluated for transplant, my collection turned to empty shelves pretty quickly; THAT gets noticed pretty quickly (handguns to non C&R, had to be transferred via an -01 FFL with PICS)...remember that the license is to collect, and in general, sales of YOUR collected guns are only incidental to maintaining, improving, or in my case, liquidating that collection ONLY...no non C&R list weapons AT ALL.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."