Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Taurus 651 (CIA)

My wife surprised me by announcing that she wants her LTCF. After 40 years I thought there would be no surprises. She wants a protection gun.

(I am OUT of DANGER here guys - not protection from me)

I am recommending that she try a Taurus Model 651 (CIA) 5 shot stainless revolver.

If you have comments on the Taurus as a suitable choice or any other recommendations then please feel free to contribute.

She hasn't shot much in the last 20 years but is not gun shy. I think with .38 special loads that the gun might work OK for her.

Opinions?

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: Taurus 651 (CIA)

I had a Taurus 85' which is a 5 shot snubby, that I carried for quite a few summers. It was a carry a lot and shoot a little kinda deal. It ended up breaking, even though it was, relatively speaking, a low round count gun. I noticed one day that the firing pin would freely move in and out of the frame just by shaking it around. Needless to say, I didn't like the idea of walking around with the firing pin hanging out on a primer, and got rid of it.

My opinion? Get a Smith 442 or 642 with the Apex kit and be done with it. Not a problem with mine and it easily has double the rounds down the pipe compared to the Taurus. YMMV and all that.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Taurus 651 (CIA)

I've gotten a Taurus 605 for my wife that we are very happy with. - It has the open hammer - but I think is otherwise the same.

I'll be picking up another one for myself. Just can't bring myself to pay twice as much for a S&W

(Bucks County)

I cannot comment directly on that model, but I've loved my .357 (a different model) for several years and fired maybe 200 rounds from it...up until a couple weeks ago when it literally fell apart in my hands at the range. It's at the factory getting fixed right now.

Up until this happening, I wouldn't have thought twice about carrying it. Now, I don't trust it. It'll probably just sit in the safe or get sold when it gets back.

Good luck.

~r~

(Schuylkill County)

For me personally, I've heard too many stories about Taurus from too many people I know. LGS got a shipment in of revolvers that the barrels were sticking out past the frame approx. 1". When they called they were told "Yeah we know about it, we just forgot to trim the barrels". I can see that happening, but for an entire lot to get past them I gotta wonder what their QC people are looking at? That said they do have a following and some people love them. They are just not the gun for me. I own a Ruger police special six which I picked up, used but in pristine condition for 200.00 and the guy threw in a box of shells and a el cheapo soft sided pistol case. The gun is chambered for 357mag and shoots it just fine. Nowadays though it protects my Dad as he is ill and no longer has the strength to rack a slide on a semi. I also bought a box of mild 38's and he can SA or DA just fine with the strength he has left. It sits in his house right at his fingertips should he ever need it. That too being said it is a heavy revolver so some may not like carrying it. It all boils down to what your wife is comfortable with. This is no way a bash on anybody's choices, you simply asked for opinions so I gave you mine.

(Bucks County)

Show her you love her, get a Smith & Wesson, forget the taurus.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Show her you love her, get a Smith & Wesson, forget the taurus.
    True dat. Nothing says love like a J frame.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Question Re: Taurus 651 (CIA)

Quote Originally Posted by bronzdragon View Post
    I cannot comment directly on that model, but I've loved my .357 (a different model) for several years and fired maybe 200 rounds from it...up until a couple weeks ago when it literally fell apart in my hands at the range. It's at the factory getting fixed right now.
    ~r~
    Just curious, what do you mean when you say "fell apart"?
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I think with .38 special loads that the gun might work OK for her.

Opinions?
    Sounds good to me. It has some weight so she will be able to handle the recoil, well. It's controllable with .357, but should be the cat's meow with the .38. Also, this particular model has gotten a lot of good reviews. $250 less than a comparable Smith.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rev...rsatile-value/
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Sounds good to me. It has some weight so she will be able to handle the recoil, well. It's controllable with .357, but should be the cat's meow with the .38. Also, this particular model has gotten a lot of good reviews. $250 less than a comparable Smith.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rev...rsatile-value/
    Actually, doing a completed auction search on gunbroker over the last 90 days, NIB S&W 642's avg $440 and NIB Taurus 651's sold for avg $399 . $250 spread is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast