Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: LTCF

(Monroe County)

Default Re: LTCF

I won't ever complain about the current LTCF restrictions for Monroe County again..
    One of my siblings is planning on moving back to PA in a few months, I was going to recommend he get his NC concealed carry permit before moving back. I looked up what it takes to get a permit in the county where most of my family live in in North Carolina.

Here is a link: http://www.catawbacountync.gov/sheriff/concealed.asp

Catawba County, North Carolina requires that if you purchase a handgun you get a permit at the Sheriffs office. It's not that expensive and not a big deal BUT if you want to carry a concealed weapon in Catawba County, NC you must:

Taken a gun safety course & provide the office with your certificate
    Fill out a physical health release (so the sheriff can access any mental health records related to your application)
    Fill out a mental health release (so the sheriff can access any mental health records related to your application)
    Provide your drivers license while there
    Be prepared to spend 20-30 minutes at the office for fingerprinting & filling out the application
    Pay the Sheriffs office $90

After all of that it will take them 5-6 weeks to process the application. Renewals are $75.

It kind of puts everything into perspective. Yeah I complained but it could've been a lot worse.
    currently; 10+ & counting. everyday carry w/ruger lcp.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by starswilldiex View Post
    I won't ever complain about the current LTCF restrictions for Monroe County again..
    One of my siblings is planning on moving back to PA in a few months, I was going to recommend he get his NC concealed carry permit before moving back. I looked up what it takes to get a permit in the county where most of my family live in in North Carolina.

Here is a link: http://www.catawbacountync.gov/sheriff/concealed.asp

Catawba County, North Carolina requires that if you purchase a handgun you get a permit at the Sheriffs office. It's not that expensive and not a big deal BUT if you want to carry a concealed weapon in Catawba County, NC you must:

Taken a gun safety course & provide the office with your certificate
    Fill out a physical health release (so the sheriff can access any mental health records related to your application)
    Fill out a mental health release (so the sheriff can access any mental health records related to your application)
    Provide your drivers license while there
    Be prepared to spend 20-30 minutes at the office for fingerprinting & filling out the application
    Pay the Sheriffs office $90

After all of that it will take them 5-6 weeks to process the application. Renewals are $75.

It kind of puts everything into perspective. Yeah I complained but it could've been a lot worse.
    Still doesn't mean that the Monroe County Sheriff shouldn't follow the law.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd dig up this old one since its the same topic.

My LTCF is up for renewal, and I feel I have nothing to lose in challenging the Sheriff on his made-up rules. Before I do though, I want to gather up any useful advice (and legal) citations I can find to back myself up.

My main question is, what is the requirement for proof of identity other than a driver's license? The tax form is requested as "your second form of identification", but is a second form of id actually required or will just my driver's license meet the legal requirements?

I have access to in county references (including a state rep if I need some political muscle), but am not against using out of county or out of state references to see if they will be accepted.

My biggest concern is that they simply won't take the application from me without the tax form. I remember seeing a post somewhere on here of someone else who got their LTCF approved without playing by the Sheriff's special rules, but I can't seem to find it. Any help or direction before I move forward would be appreciated.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345