Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LTCF

(Monroe County)

Default Re: LTCF

Yeah Monroe County just likes to make things difficult.
    That goes for everything not just LTCF permits..

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    When I moved over from the peoples republic of NJ I used my neighbors in NJ as references, had no problems here in Wayne county. Next time around I'll use my neighbors here.
    Hell, when I lived in Wayne county they didn't even call my references. I could of put down Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. LOL!

But in Pike county the did check with the people I listed.

If challenged on the "same county" requirement, the issuing authorities would lose. There is no state disqualifier for "not having friends in the same county".

The issuer is required to conduct an investigation, and you're required to reasonably cooperate, but there are limits. They couldn't require that one of your references be named "Zebadiah", or that you have 1 each aged 21, 40, and 75. You must be taken as found, and in our mobile society, your friends could be scattered across the globe.

Me, I'd lean towards naming the local chief of police and mayor. I have a legal connection to them, they are in my area, I suspect that they have nothing bad to say about me (or anything to say about me.) I'm a constituent. I may have even voted for one of them, that's a pretty "friendly" move on my part.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

I recently emailed the Sheriff about this issue and here was his reply:

Many people have questioned the same and even taken it to the state police & state attorney general's office as a question, such as yours. We are responsible to perform our own investigation upon the the primary approval from PICS to move forward with the application. The Sheriff has 45 days to complete the investigation OR the sheriff must contact the applicant to advise why it will take longer than 45 days. The information requested is to assist with determining if the person is of good character & reputation within the community they live, to determine if they have been a habitual drunkard or drug user, to determine if the have been involved in a Domestic Violence incident, oto determine if they have ever had a mental problem or been hospitalized for the same or are currently using narcotics or other types of medications or medical issues that could restrict them from attaining a KTC or even purchasing a handgun.....and to ensure that they haven't lied or committed perjury on their application. The request for a copy of their DD-214 paperwork also supports what type of honorable or dishonorable discharge they may have received, again reflecting their mind frame and past practices or difficulties.

Once again, the Firearms Act requires the Sheriff to perform a thorough investigation, prior to any approval or issuance of a LTC, therefore the request for additional information up front, rather that waiting until after the PICS number has been issued.
    I
    As far as the 1% tax request. The law states that the applicant must " live" in the county of which they apply and with so many so called part time residents, many times we find that applicants are NOT full time PA residents AND many do not have a PA Driver's license as required as the have dual residency & need to maintain their NY & NJ licenses to keep their jobs in those states which again is against PA laws.

We have and continue to be supported by the State Police & State Attorney Generals Office regarding our secondary compliance requests & issues in order for us to properly perform the investigation we are required to perform by PA law.

Others may do it differently,pat being far more lenient & willing to own themselves to future liability issues for nob-compliance, though again, our overall procedures have been challenged & supported now over the past 20 + years on paper & in court as every application is treated the same & required to provide the same information in order to enhance the effectiveness, efficiency & absolute thoroughness of every application as submitted.

Hopefully this will assist you in answering your questions.

Sheriff Martin

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I recently emailed the Sheriff about this issue and here was his reply:
    There are a great many things wrong with that quote. It's hard to know where to start, but one very obvious problem is
    The Sheriff has 45 days to complete the investigation OR the sheriff must contact the applicant to advise why it will take longer than 45 days.
    This is absolutely false. The UFA makes it crystal clear that the sheriff must approve or deny for good cause within 45 days. There is no allowance whatsoever for any longer investigation prior to issuance or denial.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Yeah, you got that straight, twency. That would open up a whole can of worms (excuses).

"Well, Joe called off today so that's why we didn't get around to your application".

"Mary had her baby yesterday and we all went to the hospital...and that's why we didn't get to your application. Sorry!"

(Monroe County)

I see what you guys are saying but I am telling you it took me right up to the 45th day in Monroe County and I had to resubmit a third person because the last one on my list lived, worked and well was part of the Palmerton Police department. I scratched my head too but its the fact I needed to get his son to be my third person which lives right across the line in Kregesville. So Wrong , right or in between the Sheriff has the final say as per the law in that county...

But now that I got it I am glad I do not have to re do it just renew because two of my people left the area...So either making new friends *Wink* *Wink* or moving myself I can not let mine expire...LOL

(Monroe County)

I believe you.
    I just think that if someone lives with you but isn't related they should be able to be a reference if you have known them for 12 going on 13 years. I mean we have been together more than a lot of marriages including my one sister's.

But anyways I will use co-workers if I have to or maybe if by the time I actually fill out the paperwork I will have made new monroe county friends.. I am very social

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by starswilldiex View Post

I work in healthcare and carry both a CNA and EMT certification with no disciplinary actions on my record plus I have undergone a federal background check. I am going to pass any investigation but if they say jump..I'll jump.
    This is a perfect example of why they get away with making up the rules as they go.

(Monroe County)

Well if you don't then you don't get the permit so until it's challenged by someone it's going to stay the same

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast