Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Rifle ranges near Pittsburgh or New Castle

Hi,
    Im a new member to the board and a new rifle owner! I recently bought a Rem 700 in 30-06 and im looking for a 100yd range to fire at. I dont have a whole lot of experience with rifles or range etiquette, but I *do* have a whole lot of common sense..

I currently live in downtown pittsburgh (yeah, thats right, next to all the tall shiny buildings), but I work in a machine shop in New Castle.. Are there any nice rifle ranges (indoor or out) in Pitts or New Castle (or anywhere inbetween along I-79)?

I would have no problem joining a group, esp if it means I get a little extra guidence!

I did look at some of the game lands outdoor ranges, but im really lost on the etiquette.. Is it as simple as show up and shoot?

Any help is appreciated!

pittsburgh shooting ranges
    Last edited by danp; November 3rd, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

the state gameland range near the intersection of I-79 and route 910 is a nice range with 100 yard rifle benches that aren't used a whole lot (as compared to the shorter distances).

yep, just show up and shoot. there is a sign in sheet, but you just sign in and shoot.

some regulations:

1. it is a cold range (no loaded weapons except on the line).

2. there is a limit of three rounds in a rifle, six in a handgun.

3. there is usually not an RO (except on weekends sometimes when it gets really busy). everyone just sort of waits for a lull and then someone calls clear to clear the range to go check targets. usually happens every 10 to 15 minutes. if you go during the week, there will not likely be many other people there, so it is not much of an issue.

it's a nice range for just stationary shooting...can't do any kind of shooting while moving or anything, though.

(Allegheny County)

Great! Thats just the info I wanted.. thanks for the help.

Maybe ill see you out there.

Any info on clubs for those busy weekends?

(Allegheny County)

there are a ton of sportmens clubs around...in that neck of the woods you have at least the coraopolis sportsmens association and the millvale sportsmans club.

i'm not a member of either. (i'm still looking for a club that has a pistol range that is open late at night and allows FMJ bullets.) however, i did stop by the coraopolis club once and it was a nice club...i talked with a guy who was sighting in a deer rifle...he was very friendly. they have an indoor pistol range that is open 24 hrs, but you can only use lead bullets, so it's not what i am looking for, but it seemed like a great club. it is about 2 minutes off of 79 on the western side of the ohio river (where 79 crosses neville island)...don't remember the name of the exit.

if you do a google search for coraopolis sportsmens association, you'll find it.

(Allegheny County)

sweet, thanks for the info.

I did stop by the game lands range off 910 today and let a few rip. Is that a 100yd range?

Im just happy I got it on the paper =-D

(Allegheny County)

i think so...it supposedly is.

the distances there are supposedly: 10 yards, 25 yards, 50 yards, and 100 yards. (however, i actually measured the 10 yard one once and it is more like 12 yards).

(Allegheny County)

Hello, also new to Pittsburgh and looking to do some shooting tomorrow. I used google maps to try and locate this range since no address is in the thread so far, is this it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...04377&t=h&om=1

Do you think there will be any chance of shooting on this long weekend, or does it get overcrowded to the point of being full?

Thanks

Alex

(Allegheny County)

that's the general area, but that is not the range. it's a bit west of there.) i'd find it on the satellite image for ya, but i'm at home and my internet connection here is too slow for scrolling through pictures. if you do a google search for "pennsylvania state game land shooting ranges", you'll find a page with info for all the PGC ranges in the state. The have a link to directions--and maybe even a map--to the one in question...which is on SGL 203. If you happen to have a "Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazatteer", it SGL 203 is shown on page 57...just west of a town called Bradford Woods.)

coming from pittsburgh:

take 279 north to 79 north.
    get off 79N at the first exit, which is 910 Wexford.

exit on the right and then, at the light, turn right on route 910.

at the next light (almost immediately), go straight, but stay left...

turn left onto Mingo Road (first left after the light)

After winding around a little bit, Mingo road crosses back under 79.

Very shortly after that, take a left onto "State Game Land Road". (The road is not what you would think of as a SG road...it is paved and has houses on it.

Eventually (not too far) you actually enter the state game lands. a little while thereafter, you will see a carved wooden sign for "Shooting Ranges" on the right. That's the range.

I don't think it will be too crowded to go shoot this weekend. Although it gets crowded, there are a lot of stations. I have seen people have to wait for the 10 yard handgun stations, but not ever any more than 10 minutes. A lot of people seem to come out and just shoot 50 rounds and leave.

I would suggest wearing eye protection and a baseball hat if you are going to be shooting a handgun, though. The stations are close together and, if it there is someone at the one to your left, you tend to get peppered with brass if he is shooting a semi-auto pistol. (I kinda like it. It teaches you to concentrate on shooting accurately even while you are being pelted with hot brass. LOL)

Have fun...I might be out there later tomorrow afternoon/early evening. I'll be shooting a Glock 17 and will most likely have a black steelers baseball hat on...say hi if you see me.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; May 26th, 2006 at 11:35 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Heres a photo of where it is, and a photo of where you were looking.

Ill be there tommorow, probably in the morning (I like it when its *empty*), but may be there later. Ill probably be the only guy on the 100 yard range, testing out some handloads, maybe firing from prone. Ill be wearing a black 'quicksilver' baseball hat with a rem 700.

Its never *too* crowded.. then again ive never shot on the short ranges. Seems like the longer the range, the less people use it. Most of the time the handgun area is pretty busy, and the 100 yard is completely empty.

The RO just replaced all the target backdrops for all the ranges cept for the 100. Talked with him this week and he said he has no idea how many ppl will show up.. could be lots, could be fairly empty. Generally gets busy after 12.

Oh, and if your on the short ranges, and evryone goes clear.. freakin *YELL* clear down to the 100 yard range. I can never hear when they yell clear, its always some half-hearted little-louder-than-speaking 'clear!'. Im all ready to take a shot and see people wandering onto the range. The RO says he can never hear them either. Youll know its me because I scare the deer away when I yell clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spectre6; May 27th, 2006 at 12:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

The place you were looking at is actually the Millvale Sportsmens Club.. Ive seen it on google earth before, but never realised it was a shooting range.

http://millvalesportsmens.org/

I think its member invite only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast