Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Pocono Manor Rod and Gun Club

Anyone ever shot sporting clays at Pocono Manor? Wife and I will be taking a long weekend there in a couple of weeks and was interested in shooting the course. Anyone happen to have some input on the course/club?

Thanks
    John

(Pike County)

Default Re: Pocono Manor Rod and Gun Club

I’ve shot 5 stand and sporting clays there a few times. The sporting clays course was 16 stations, about a mile or so walk or you can rent a golf cart, through scenic trails and rolling brook. They change the throwers around frequently so the course is different every time I’ve gone. I really enjoyed it.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

(York County)

Thanks very much, Charlie!

(Pike County)

John,

I’ve been there on a weekend and they were busy with club events that take over the trap, 5 stand, and sporting clays courses. On weekdays you have the whole place to your self. Like their golf course, it’s a good idea to call ahead for a “tee time”.

I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

(Chester County)

You definately need to call ahead if you want to shoot five stand on the weekends they use it for lessons. The course is very interesting with lots of different target presentations and elevation changes. They have nice delayed releases on the target pullers so you can shoot solo.It is nice to walk but a three wheeled gun caddy is a big help as it get tiring lugging lots of gear up an down those hills.

(York County)

***My review***
    I called about a week ago to make reservations for a shoot time and to reserve a cart. Guy answering the phone sounded like he could have cared less about my call. I suppose he may have been busy.
    I arrived at my shoot time and the clerk could have cared less that I was even there.....'You ever shoot here before?.....no, oh well...the trail is around back.'
    Gorgeous course. I must say that the targets were presented and were alot of fun to shoot. Glad my wife decided to tag along because no one mentioned that I would have needed a trapper since it is all auto traps and I could not have shot without someone else to pull for me.
    One of the traps was broken on one of the stations...no big deal. Told the clerk when went in to pay and...yup..you guessed it...he could have cared less.
    Also, on the way back to the clubhouse I realized that the path that leads to the sporting clays course that you must take runs alongside of the GOLF DRIVING RANGE. Saw a ball almost take our heads off if we hadn't been watching.
    Overall....great course that is made a bit lackluster because of the poor customer service. I mean afterall, I paid $60 for 100 clays and a cart that took me an hour and a half. It was fun, but I would give the course a score of 6 out of 10 because of the CS issues and because their 'pro shop' was a poor excuse for a pro shop.
    I know there are other Sporting Clays courses around here in the Pocono's and I hope to find another one before we leave here on Sunday.

P.S. - Check out their membership prices... www.therodandgunclub.com

(Pike County)

The last time I shot there was late October and the customer service was excellent. The first time I went to PMRGC was probably last March. I shot a round of 5 Stand and a round of Sporting Clays. I bought a membership.

The next time I went I shot a round of Sporting Clays but tried the push cart to carry gun and gear. The next few times I went I took the golf cart, much better. I never ran into anyone on the weekdays although there were other shooters on the course. As far as customer service, I hope they were only the temps and the guys from last year return.

(York County)

I suppose I was just simply dissapointed in some things. The lack of personable staff, the broken trap/targets, etc. The scenery and the course was outstanding. Beautiful place and I picked a GREAT day to be out there. Compared with some of the other private and public ranges I have been to, it just lacked something.