Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default pistol shopping looking for input

I'm on the hunt for a pistol and as I'm a rifle / shotgun guy I don't know much about pistols. I don't want to factor in ammo shortage as a determining factor but ammo price sure is. Prefer 9mm or larger just for target shooting and HD. Just looking for any input where to start. I've shot a bunch of 22s and revolvers and the revolvers never felt right in my hands but I'm open to any suggestions. I've got big gorilla hands so nothing with a short grip. Thanks guys and gals.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: pistol shopping looking for input

M&P 9. I've got big hands too and I shoot the compact. Fits me well. Don't own any but glock has its cult following. Glock parts and mags are easier to find right now. I also the the XD pistols.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by 46and2 View Post
    M&P 9. I've got big hands too and I shoot the compact. Fits me well. Don't own any but glock has its cult following. Glock parts and mags are easier to find right now. I also the the XD pistols.
    I too have a full size M&P9 that I like also. Multiple size backtraps came stock and are a breeze to swap out, so you should be able to size the gun to fit your hands comfortably. Have a standard size glock that I enjoy a whole lot too but it's a 31 (357sig) so it probably doesn't fit your criteria as far as ammo pricing. Nevertheless, they too offer a 9mm although they are a bit on the difficult side to find right now. On the higher end I own a H&K P30L in 40 which too comes in 9, and if it's in your price range would definitely suggest a look a that or the straight p30.

(Tioga County)

Beretta 92FS might fill the bill. Well made, all metal, full size in 9mm. Many complain about the size of the grips, but I have long fingers and it feels just right to me.

Don't give up on revolvers, either. It's easy to tailor a revolver with different grips; perhaps easier than a bottom-feeder. With that in mind, you may want to keep an eye out for an L-frame S&W (Mod. 586, 686, etc.) Ammo in .38 Spl. is not all that hard to find right now and not ridiculously priced.

--Phil

Sig Sauer. Their new grip design is very comfortable and it points very naturally. Even for a guy like me with hands the size of a gorillas.

Quote Originally Posted by dawkins2020 View Post
    Prefer 9mm or larger just for target shooting and HD. Just looking for any input where to start.

I've got big gorilla hands so nothing with a short grip. Thanks guys and gals.
    That narrows it down, some. What is budget and does it need to be high capacity?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Susquehanna County)

It is not going to do a bit of good for me to tell you what I like. Go to a range that rents pistols and try a few out. The pick the one that fits best and you can shoot most accurately.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Range\HD gun? In my book, that's an all steel full size pistol.
    I know how you feel, I'm comfortable buying pistols and shotguns, now I'm thinking about a rifle.
    Browning high power comes to mind. Best 9mm on the planet. CZ, Sigsauer, Beretta, take your pick depending on budget.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Montgomery County)

Have you considered a Ruger P-95?

American made (Arizona), 9mm, 15+1 capacity. Stainless steel slide, polymer frame. Safety/Decocker on the slide. Shoots like a tack driver with very manageable recoil.

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the input and i held a few but havent gotten a chance to test drive any yet, 2 at the top just holding was the m&p 9 and the ruger p95, and the l frames s&w 586,686 felt good as well just surely have to see how my grip is with the recoil, now im a big fan of smith and wesson firearms but never owned a ruger or sig and do not know much about them but im going to see if classic rents any or allof them and check out the true feel, as far as budget id say around 800 new or 500 range used and if possible something shiny lol. i have a few blackpolymer rifles,shotguns and a black with wood 30-30 so a stainless look would pop out in the collection for sure

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast