Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default delco license to carry renewal

Posted earlier asking the turnaround time in license to carry. Well it took almost 50 days. Still received it before my priors expiration.

What I don't understand is that my two references were called three days after application. Does it take 45 days to check one's criminal back round in the so called instant check system?

Also, the letter I received from the sheriffs' department indicating that it was OK to pick up the license in person, stated that the Pa. permit was only good in Pa. I find it strange that delco sheriff does not acquaint himself with the web site of the state attorney general relative to supplying information on other states that recognize Pa. Permits.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: delco license to carry renewal

You may be slightly confused by the complete process. PIC is done while you are dropping off your application, if you fail this, you will be told on the spot that you are not eligible. The time it takes for your references to be contacted depends on how backed up they are. Sometimes it is done in a matter of days, other times it takes a few weeks. After checking with the references about your good nature, your references are then put through a PIC by name only. All the while during the 45+ days, your records is constantly being monitored for any and all activity that will come up with a check. On the 46th day, if all is good, the letter is finally mailed out. My friend got a call 2 weeks after his app was dropped off, while I actually called on the 50th day and they apologized for the delay and told me to come in. It's a process, but one that a law-abiding citizen should not mind waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by vpalace View Post
    ... After checking with the references about your good nature, your references are then put through a PIC by name only.
    Are you sure about that part? How do you know that? I've not heard ever of references being put thru PICS

(Delaware County)

You may be slightly confused by the complete process. PIC is done while you are dropping off your application, if you fail this, you will be told on the spot that you are not eligible. The time it takes for your references to be contacted depends on how backed up they are. Sometimes it is done in a matter of days, other times it takes a few weeks. After checking with the references about your good nature, your references are then put through a PIC by name only. All the while during the 45+ days, your records is constantly being monitored for any and all activity that will come up with a check. On the 46th day, if all is good, the letter is finally mailed out. My friend got a call 2 weeks after his app was dropped off, while I actually called on the 50th day and they apologized for the delay and told me to come in. It's a process, but one that a law-abiding citizen should not mind waiting for.
    Where did you get this information?

(Delaware County)

Although I do have family members in law enforcement, this was told to me by an active sheriff's deputy one night outside of a shooting range. A bunch of us had gotten into a discussion when we were ready to leave, mingling around our trucks.

I agree, I should have probably looked into this a little more before posting, but I did not see any reason he would have to lie to us about the process. I don't see any harm in it as long as you truly know your references.

If the information I have been given is wrong, please please let me know. I don't mean to cause hysteria.

Although I do have family members in law enforcement, this was told to me by an active sheriff's deputy one night outside of a shooting range. A bunch of us had gotten into a discussion when we were ready to leave, mingling around our trucks.

I agree, I should have probably looked into this a little more before posting, but I did not see any reason he would have to lie to us about the process. I don't see any harm in it as long as you truly know your references.

If the information I have been given is wrong, please please let me know. I don't mean to cause hysteria.
    No hysteria, just that we have not heard that refs are ever PICS'ed. Many counties never even contact the refs at all, let alone PICS them.

Would they even be permitted to run a PICS on a person who is not applying for a LTCF or purchasing a firearm? Just seems a little strange. Although it seems every sheriff dept in the state does things a little differently for a LTCF app

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    No hysteria, just that we have not heard that refs are ever PICS'ed. Many counties never even contact the refs at all, let alone PICS them.

Would they even be permitted to run a PICS on a person who is not applying for a LTCF or purchasing a firearm? Just seems a little strange. Although it seems every sheriff dept in the state does things a little differently for a LTCF app
    I really don't see how it is even possible, since all you give on the form is a name, address and phone number, neither of my references were asked for a DL, SS number or date of birth, you'd need at least one of these to run any kind of "official" check.

I don't put it past the DELCO Sheriff since he's had some questionable practices concerning the LTCF in the past, and it wouldn't be the first time a LEO gave bad info about gun laws in this state. I just don't see it as possible without more info about the references themselves.

My references were simply asked if I was violent or a drunk.

The whole process is supposed to be uniform throughout the state, it's not even close, some places you can walk in and 20 minutes later walk out LTCF in hand. It took over 60 days to get mine. I got a non resident CWP from Utah, from the time I mailed it to Utah, and back to my door, in 52 days.

It really isn't a matter of "It's a process, but one that a law-abiding citizen should not mind waiting for" it's supposed to be the same no matter what and not left up to each Sheriff how they go about issuing, or not, a LTCF.

Bill

(Delaware County)

Could he have mean that they simply make sure the info that the reference has given is accurate, ie, name matches current address? That would make a little more sense.

Has anyone gotten a Fl license so they can carry in DE? My parents live there and I frequently travel in DE, so I wanted to get one so I can bring across state lines. Staying out of New Germany, but I visit DE more often.

(Delaware County)

Could he have mean that they simply make sure the info that the reference has given is accurate, ie, name matches current address? That would make a little more sense.
    You'd have to ask him that.

Has anyone gotten a Fl license so they can carry in DE? My parents live there and I frequently travel in DE, so I wanted to get one so I can bring across state lines. Staying out of New Germany, but I visit DE more often.
    I carry in DE on a Utah permit. Check this link for many discussions on the subject of Utah & Florida permits.

http://www.google.com/custom?num=100...%3A9okhnzbqsjo

(Delaware County)

Thank you for the information.