Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Does The Castle Doctrine Apply To Someone On A Roof?

Yes I am serious.

I have a squatter in the house next to me. He does not own the home and is just squatting their with his family. His roof is leaking and ruining my home. My wife talked to the squatter and he said I was going to fix it but after we moved in we decided their are too many problems with the house so I'm not putting a dime into it. He then told her if we paid for the supplies he would patch it. The squatter is a complete scumbag and he would probably sell the supplies to support his habit and he has no idea what he is doing.

My plan is to ask the homeowner my old neighbor who is still the legal owner of the home for permission to patch his roof. I don't think squatter will like me on his roof so will I have a problem? Can he stop me from being on the roof he does not own just because he is a resident? Will he legally be able to shoot me under the Castle Doctrine? What if I fall through his roof and end up inside the home?

Any suggestions? I can't just let it keep leaking into my home.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Does The Castle Doctrine Apply To Someone On A Roof?

I am certainly not well versed in this sort of situation but as a squatter isn't he trespassing by being in a home that he does not own/rent?
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday View Post
    I am certainly not well versed in this sort of situation but as a squatter isn't he trespassing by being in a home that he does not own/rent?
    I'm sure even though he is there illegally he must still have rights being the current resident. I have no clue what kind of rights he would have in this case.

Personally I think he should be in jail for endangering his children and mine.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Yes I am serious.

I have a squatter in the house next to me. He does not own the home and is just squatting their with his family. His roof is leaking and ruining my home. My wife talked to the squatter and he said I was going to fix it but after we moved in we decided their are too many problems with the house so I'm not putting a dime into it. He then told her if we paid for the supplies he would patch it. The squatter is a complete scumbag and he would probably sell the supplies to support his habit and he has no idea what he is doing.

My plan is to ask the homeowner my old neighbor who is still the legal owner of the home for permission to patch his roof. I don't think squatter will like me on his roof so will I have a problem? Can he stop me from being on the roof he does not own just because he is a resident? Will he legally be able to shoot me under the Castle Doctrine? What if I fall through his roof and end up inside the home?

Any suggestions? I can't just let it keep leaking into my home.
    Is there a difference to you whether he shoots you legally or illegally?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Montgomery County)

Castle Doctrine does not apply during the commission of a crime.

So the question is: Is his tresspassing a crime? or does he have certain rights still since he was not evicted?

very interesting, nonetheless.

(Luzerne County)

As far as YOU doing repairs on someone else's property I dont think that is a good idea. YOU too would be trespassing, and if you were to fall through or off of the roof I am sure that you could not claim any kind of liability against the homeowner... Just protect YOUR property... Leave it to the homeowner for his responsibilities...

(Montgomery County)

something to think about: can you shoot back?, are YOU tresspassing by being on the roof? or is permission from the real owner sufficient?

(Delaware County)

You are more interested in knowing if he would be legal in shooting you OVER judging if your actions will get you shot?

Not the brightest bulb

(Lancaster County)

While you're talking to the actual owner of the home, why not ask them to have trespass violations signed out against them so they can be removed from the property.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Not for all the tea in china would I crawl on his roof and patch it. Not only for tresspassing issues, but for when your work doesn't hold up or they claim damage, or say well your work is inferior so pay for it to be fixed right.

This is why I will never live in the city. Neighbors too close is too many problems.

It's not the guy living there's problem really though. It's the homeowners obligation to keep the property safe and livable. You were barking up the wrong tree talking to the guy when it's not his property. Unless the homeowner has something in writing stating all repairs need to be made by the tenant. Which is rare. And normally means the place was a shithole before the tenant moved in.
    Last edited by khankewycz; March 16th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast