Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: New website, American Gun Owners Alliance

Someone asked Dave to explain the concept and history over at pa2a and he asked me to post it here.

The original idea was mine but was massaged with the help of several friends (and mostly members here or at POOFA)

The reason I came up with the idea was because when I ran nra no (which is now closed BTW) I would constantly get contacts from people that really didn't care for the NRA or were unhappy with how they handled things and the basic question was always 'but what else is there' .... that's what got me thinking about it.

As I mulled it over I kept thinking about the thousands of 'little' groups out there across the country that had no real way of getting information without having to search the internet or forums all the time. I also thought about how these groups as a single unit didn't have much of a voice because of their size.

Also I thought about the fact that a group could have a local issue and they needed support from other like minded groups - how do they get the word out quickly and easily to groups that may be close enough to lend support.

So that was the basic idea. At my birthday party in January I threw the idea out to these other people that were here. I expected them to either tell me I was nuts or the idea had no merit but to my surprise everyone thought on some level it was a good idea. The one that really saw what I meant and jumped right on board was Joe (Headcase). He has worked with us during the entire time to build the idea.

To explain the concept in a nutshell:

1. One place with all the up to date gun laws and proposed legislation that members can track without having to search the internet for them.

2. A place where groups can register themselves and then be able to post announcements, whether political or events that members that are interested in the group (they can add these groups in their member area) can see without having to search (via alerts or their member area). These group postings, once completed by me, will also be available on their group page so the public can view them.

For instance, let's say a group in Williamsport has found an issue with their local government (say no guns in parks) and they want a turnout at the town council meeting. They can post this and others that may or may not be part of the group can find out about it and potentially add more bodies for support.

3. Lastly a way for AMGOA to push information to groups that are registered with us. For instance let's say we find out about a problem with a county government. We can alert all the groups within the county and groups from bordering counties about the problem.

It's basically an information clearing house for gun people and gun groups but along with that it's creating an unintended alliance (hence the name) between these groups. They may not know about each other and hell they may not even agree on all the issues 100% of the time but they are informed about issues and can lend support to each other as they see fit.

At the party I made the analogy of getting support from polar opposite groups like the Pink Pistols and some (for lack of a better term) redneck gun club. They may not agree with each other but there are things they agree 100% about - namely gun rights.

Of course the programming and most of the section ideas I came up with, with some help from fellow programmers that are gun people from Florida and a big gun rights advocate (and client of mine) I deeply respect from Ohio.

As far as running the site right now it's Tootie and I but many others have helped test, made suggestions and helped out over the two months it took to build this. RocketFoot helped out a ton with the logo and the 'branding', if you will. JustinHemi helped in testing, Norm and his wife and FNG19 (from POOFA). There were others but they can call themselves out if they wish.

And of course as this thing grows there will be addition people needed to help manage it.

(Monroe County)

We now have an area for public shooting ranges. We're adding them as we get them in. If you know of one that we don't have let us know and we'll list it.

(Dauphin County)

Signed up.

(Allegheny County)

"AMGOA"

Using a name that can't be pronounced when using only the initials without sounding like a retard.

Where have I seen THAT before?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "AMGOA"

Using a name that can't be pronounced when using only the initials without sounding like a retard.

Sure you can Am-Go-a ;-)

"AMGOA"

pah-foe-uh. Not hard at all.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

EM is just pissed because they don't offer a nifty hat.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Signed up as well, thanks
    Jesus is Lord !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    pah-foe-uh. Not hard at all.
    I said "without sounding like a retard."

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I said "without sounding like a retard."

That's not a requirement for posting here, is it? Because that would be a problem.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast