Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Stick with Glock 23 gen4 or should I sell/trade

Just bought my first gun but haven't had a chance to shoot. It is a premature feeling but I've read that the 23 has a snappy recoil. I've talked to a friend of mine has one and says the recoil isn't bad. My question is for concealed carry and home protection is the 23 a good choice or should I go for the 9mm or 45, and is the 23 gen 4 really that snappy or is it over exaggerated. Thanks.

Default Re: Stick with Glock 23 gen4 or should I sell/trade

It is snappy, yes, but not brutal, by any means. You can definitely fight with one with some practice. Without some practice, a 9mm will not help you much, so I wouldn't be in any hurry to get rid of it until you try it. It is a good gun for both of what you ask. .40 S&W is a good round, as well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

I do plan on hitting the range and have stocked up on ammo for practice. I was just curious if the gen 4 dual spring has helped with the recoil as some people have said it's close to the 9mm. I have to wait to join a range until the end of the month so I think my anticipation to shoot is making me second guess my purchase. I tend to see a lot of hate for the .40 online, but hickok45 on youtube sold me on the 23 over the 19.

I've only shot the G23, but I've put quite a few rounds through them. The recoil ( the Gen 4) is more than the G19, but it isn't what I would call substantial. You can definitely tell the difference, but it is very controllable. I'm not a Glock fan, too much, having owned a couple Gen. 3 G21's, but it wasn't the gun's fault. I just didn't like grip and they shot high (top of the berm high) when I just put the gun out in front of my face and shot. I will also say that my wife, having shot a couple G23's was considering one for her EDC, but she is pretty handy with a firearm. As I said, try it out. You may find as many others do that the recoil isn't that bad, and honestly, if you shoot one stiff, it isn't bad at all, and can be rapid fired with little to no problem.
    Last edited by harold63; March 16th, 2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: took a word not needed, out
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

I am not familiar with the Glocks but thought I might address the recoil on the 40SW. My wife wanted something small and manageable so we found a Star Firestar in the 40 and she fell in love with it. She was somewhat sensitive to recoil so I was hesitant but after getting it she shot it quite a bit and actually outshot me with it. My thoughts are the biggest caliber you can shoot well and comfortably is the caliber you should carry so give it a chance and see how you like it and how well you shoot it prior to making a decision.

(Delaware County)

Great shooting pistol, Stick with it and shoot it a lot when you can. I carry a 23 as well as the full size 22. Glock makes a great gun. Good Luck, enjoy and be safe.

(Monroe County)

Have a G23 gen 3 that I'd trust my life to ...

Sure they bark a bit more then a 9mm but less then a 45 acp. Put a couple hundred rounds down range then decide if you want to get rid of it.

Just to let you know, the triggers feel different then a hammer type pistol and do take a bit to get used to. Get used to it first before you attempt to 'upgrade' it. Use a firm grip but don't employ a 'white knuckled death grip' ... it's unnecessary.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

you bought a handgun and and want to sell it before you ever shot it? Shoot it first!

(Cambria County)

The 23 is a great shooting and accurate Glock without a doubt, I personally dont think it has a harsh recoil at all, my G27 (the even smaller version of a 23) is a little more snappy but still more than manageable and I can shoot 200+ rounds out of it at the range with plenty of enjoyment! If you go shoot 50 rounds from this gun and dont like it, it will not hurt the resale value of this gun at all, with todays craziness. For the reasons you purchased this gun in your OP, I am not sure you could have picked a better weapon, KEEP IT!!!
    One thing I suggest for the reasons you bought this gun, is to buy some night sights for it, you wont be disappointed.
    Keep the Glock, shoot it, trust it with your life, and enjoy it...

(Centre County)

Are you intended to carry this weapon? if so, then 23 is a good choice.
    Is it going to be just range gun/Bedside gun? SHould have went with 22.

just remenber. Given the same caliber, smaller frame gun will always have more felt recoil.

With that being said, recoil is snappy, yes. But nothing like shooting .357Mag out of 2.5" barreled snubby.

Take your skirt off, and hit the range!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast