Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Take care when reloading......a reminder

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...305&Messages=7

Folks, I have just received an email which states Wayne Mayes was severly burned in a gun powder related incident. I have not verified this. However, I have been told he has 3rd degree burns over 65% of his body and that this is a "life threatening" circumstance for a man of his age. According to the post he is scheduled for his first surgery tomorrow (3-14-13), if he can be stabilized by then.

Again, I have not verified this. I do not like sending out unverified email information. So, take it as such - unverified. However, if it is proven true, please pray for Wayne.

Mike

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/03/wayn...#axzz2NeoHjCPe

San Antonio, TX --(Ammoland.com)- For all our friends who may not know yet, Wayne Mayes was involved in an accident at his home on Monday afternoon which left him badly burned.
    Below is an update from John Haugh, who spoke with his wife Linda:
    “Hey, all of our shooting community: I spoke with Linda this morning. She said the doctors say Wayne had a good day yesterday. They have thoroughly examined his eyes and there are no lacerations, etc. That is great news. If Wayne has another ‘good day’ today — taking fluids, stabilizing, etc. — they might start skin graft operations as early as Thursday.
    “They keep Wayne sedated for pain management, but he is able to hear Linda. The ICU is small, and for protection from possible infection, there is no visitation.
    “He is not out of the woods yet, but the doctors were pleased with yesterday’s progress.
    “This is a marathon for Wayne, and they say he has to take it one day at a time. Linda has some family and friends’ support around her.
    “At this point, we need to continue our prayers and positive thoughts for both of them and the medical folks taking care of Wayne.”
    In addition to being a legendary skeet shooter who is universally regarded as one of the best shooters in the history of the sport, Wayne is married to NSSA Director Linda Mayes. We send both of them our prayers, love, and support in this difficult time.

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/03/wayn...#ixzz2Nep1QuUk
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Take care when reloading......a reminder

thoughts and prayers with him and his wife of course.
    I'm curious as to the cause? seems to suggest he was disposing of old powder? by burning it? and the wind blew it at him perhaps?
    Sketchy details at present, but does not sound like a reloading accident, per se

(Bucks County)

Never burn old powder. It makes a great fertilizer. Sometimes even the best of us slip up once in a while. Hope he pulls through.

(Montgomery County)

Subject: Skeet Shooter Wayne Mayes Badly Injured
    Email:
    Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 - 12:16 PM ET
    Website Address:
    Rebecca A. Myers Just talked to Jamie in San Antonio. Wayne's still in the coma for today (at MAMSEE = Brooke) at the burn center. The docs plan to start skin grafting tomorrow morning at 8 am. Survival stats are still scary...but we all know Wayne-o is a fighter. Jamie plans to be with Linda all day tomorrow at the hospital and will get info out as it becomes available. He plans to use me as his East Coast point of communication. Linda's hanging tough...but she's got a lot to deal with here. Re. accident (I know everyone is curious). A wind gust caused the problem as he was disposing of old powder...caught his "famous" navy blue nylon shorts on fire. The worst burns cover about 55% of his body. No eye or lung damage - but bad enough as it is..

So he was disposing of old powder by burning in the yard?
    While that does not sound like the best idea, I do hope he recovers quickly.

I thought one of the better ways was not to burn it in the yard but to fertilize the yard with it...
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation