Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig Sauer Mosquito 22LR Review

22LR pistols and rifles are becoming more and more popular these days due to rising ammo cost and an increased interest in general preparedness. Sig's 22LR pistol offering is the Mosquito and here's what I've found with it so far...

Pros:
    -Bottom line up front---cheap to shoot. Who doesn't like that?
    -Accurate. The fixed barrel design lends itself to good accuracy.
    -Ergonomics. It's a 90% scaled down P226 and many new shooters I've lent it out to like the smaller grip circumference.
    -Many different finishes available
    -3 dot adjustable sights
    -MIL/LE pricing is available
    -With the exception of the slide mounted safety the controls mimic it's bigger brothers in the Sig line up making weapons manipulation drills applicable to the guns many would use in a real world environment.

Cons:
    -More complex to break down and maintain than some competitors (not bad by any means but I can see how some new shooters would be intimidated by it).
    -10 round magazines standard
    -Magazine cost
    -Like many 22LR pistols, it seems to be somewhat picky about ammo.
    -Magazine cost

Here's a video with some day & night shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, and discussion of the pros/cons of the pistol.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer Mosquito 22LR Review

It appears as if the video got cut a little short. Must have been a glitch first view only 2:06. waited a few minutes rechecked saw entire 5:46.
    Last edited by paptini; March 15th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I almost bought a used one the other day because I used to have a Walter p22 and it was a blast. But the guys at insite told me that the mosquito and the other .22 1911 variants need sub sonic ammo to properly cycle the action.
    With the current ammo shortages, most of the time I can't even find 9mm, so having to find special .22 s seems troublesome.
    Have you found you need sub sonic ammo?

(Bucks County)

I've enjoyed the one I have. I originally bought it for my daughter to learn to shoot, but hanging out with dad at the range is apparently boring for a 14 year old, hehe.

It's a fun gun to shoot. I use CCI mini-mags and it shoots very reliably and is more accurate then I am. I will also say that the gun came with two springs. The stronger one is the one I use and fires mini-mags, I'm guessing the weaker one is for regular ammunition, but I have never tried it.

As with any handgun that fires .22, keep it clean.
    ~r~
    Last edited by bronzdragon; March 15th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I can't say I'm very happy with the one we just bought for the wife. Even with Mini-mags, it doesn't seem to reliably cycle. Even properly cleaned and lubed, im hard pressed to get two magazines cleanly through it.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by extremewattage View Post
    But the guys at insite told me that the mosquito and the other .22 1911 variants need sub sonic ammo to properly cycle the action.

Have you found you need sub sonic ammo?
    No, I bought mine brand new and Sig recommends high velocity 22. ie CCI mini mags, Remington golden bullet, etc. etc. That's what I used and after break in didn't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    I can't say I'm very happy with the one we just bought for the wife. Even with Mini-mags, it doesn't seem to reliably cycle. Even properly cleaned and lubed, im hard pressed to get two magazines cleanly through it.
    Which spring are you using?

(Chester County)

I've had one for a while, and the only thing that runs in it is 40 grain CCI mini mags. It was miserable at first, but got better with use and cleaning. I found that the stiffer spring works best for me. The trigger is still miserable.

My GF loves this gun. I've also found that it is a fun gun to carry around the farm to plink at anything that looks like it needs shootin'.

For my GF, it was an good introduction to DA/SA guns, but I suspect that there are better choices out there.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Westmoreland County)

I have this pistol and put about 500 rounds thru it or so without a single problem. I have used cheap Remington ammo that's about 15 years old and not one issue. Bought the thing to teach my youngest daughter to shoot, and when we go she never gives me a chance to even touch it. It's been a very good trainer, as she will no doubt move to either a 38 Special or a 9mm when she gets a few years older. She shoots the damn thing good too, so no problem there.

I think the trick to this little gun is keeping it clean and WELL oiled.

Glad I bought it......

Craig
    OBAMA - One Big Ass Mistake America.....

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post

22LR pistols and rifles are becoming more and more popular these days due to rising ammo cost and an increased interest in general preparedness. Sig's 22LR pistol offering is the Mosquito and here's what I've found with it so far...

Thanks for posting. Informative and enjoyable review.

Hopefully some new guys buying their first 22lr handgun will really benefit from the info you provide.

Cheers,
    afd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast