Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Montco LTCF, my experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-6sn7 View Post
    Went down to Norristown 2 weeks ago with the idea that I would let them take care of the police check since the website said it might only result in a 45day wait (I was in no hurry). I was told that a deputy would have to be pulled off normal duty to drive up and check my residence. Not wanting to pull a deputy from normal duty (if true) was reason enough to drop it off myself (5 min from home), didn't feel like the day to argue about the legality of it.. there were many in line behind me.
    Dropped off the police check form and a very courteous woman took it and said it would take two weeks. Went back in two weeks... different nice woman pulled it out of the file for me and I saw it had been done in a few days.
    Returned to Norristown about 10:30AM, no line and I was out of there in 15 min. with LTCF. The guys behind the counter were even in good spirits.
    45 days is the maximum they are allowed to wait before issuing or denying.

There's no reason anyone needs to drive anywhere. Several counties normally issue on the spot, they obviously don't have deputies zooming around the county doing whatever it is that these deputies supposedly are doing to investigate residence.

Even in the other counties which don't issue on the spot I would be surprised to find out that anyone is driving anywhere to investigate anything related to an LTCF application. There's no need under ordinary circumstances.

But even if they were somehow obligated to drive around investigating each applicant, that would be part of their job. Their saying that someone at the sheriff's office would be "pulled off normal duty" to perform a background investigation for a LTCF is ludicrous. By law the LTCF investigation is a part of the "normal duty" of the sheriff and his or her deputies.

I almost feel ashamed that I went to the Erie County Courthouse last week and deposited two quarters in the parking meter. That gave me 40 minutes to renew. I walked out with my LTCF in hand and still had ten minutes on my meter...
    Jules
    Last edited by twency; May 4th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post

There's no reason anyone needs to drive anywhere. Several counties normally issue on the spot, they obviously don't have deputies zooming around the county doing whatever it is that these deputies supposedly are doing to investigate residence.
    I read that to mean that several counties perform only cursory background checks. Pass PICS and get an LTCF. If that is how the citizens of those counties want it, so be it.

Montgomery County, the third largest county behind Philadelphia and Allegheny, performs a slightly more in depth review. I believe that at least one of the other counties contiguous to Philadelphia goes as far as checking references (though I could be wrong).

I don't know anything about Dauphin County. I do not read or post on the Dauphin county boards. I do not know how they issue their LTCF. Is it a process that is perfect and pleases all residents?

(Bucks County)

Bucks County issued my initial LTCF in eight days, and that was because I didn't want to drive all the way up to Doylestown. If you drive up to the sheriff's office in Doylestown, they'll issue it on the spot if your PICS check comes back approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I read that to mean that several counties perform only cursory background checks. Pass PICS and get an LTCF. If that is how the citizens of those counties want it, so be it.

Montgomery County, the third largest county behind Philadelphia and Allegheny, performs a slightly more in depth review. I believe that at least one of the other counties contiguous to Philadelphia goes as far as checking references (though I could be wrong).

. . . .
    The criteria for issuing an LTCF are set by the state, and PICS covers most of them. What does MontCo find out in their "in depth review" that is relevant to those criteria?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The criteria for issuing an LTCF are set by the state, and PICS covers most of them. What does MontCo find out in their "in depth review" that is relevant to those criteria?
    That they have the ability to waste time and money on an unnecessary task.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    They check with the local pd for a reference to see if you are "known" to them. Other counties might do something similar in the 45 day investigation period

(Dauphin County)

They check with the local pd for a reference to see if you are "known" to them. Other counties might do something similar in the 45 day investigation period
    That doesn't seem consistent with this:

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-6sn7 View Post
    … I was told that a deputy would have to be pulled off normal duty to drive up and check my residence. …

(Montgomery County)

Sorry
    The card check also asks the pd to verify the address.

Why does the dauphin county sheriff require 2 forms of I'd?

(Dauphin County)

Sorry
    The card check also asks the pd to verify the address.
    What part of section § 6109 requires or even allows the sheriff to perform an address verification? Maybe (d)(4) if you really stretch it. Maybe.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.

Why does the dauphin county sheriff require 2 forms of I'd?
    No good reason that I can figure out. One state-issued ID or equivalent proof of identity should be sufficient. Next time I renew I'm thinking about raising the issue.
    Last edited by twency; May 4th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123