Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Montco LTCF, my experience

Try going back in abut a week or more, and you might just get them to finish it, maybe say you want to verify your app was filed out right? I did something similer because the original officer did not take my change of address card. Sgt. Kitterage seems to be the one really stuck up about the check card, maybe a bunch of us should send a petition to the sheriff? I'm just glad I got mine and didn't end up having to wait 45days like they told me. I went back in ten days later and they fi is he'd mine. Ymmv, but I felt like I had to stand against the check card based on merit, glad some other people are as well

(Chester County)

To the OP, not saying they wouldn't attempt to pull some goofy clerical BS on your app, but PA is a shall-issue state, so if you check out, that's that. 45 days is all they get. They can't deny your app because they didn't like your attitude. I personally haven't had to go through any real hoops when I applied for mine in Bucks, and later in Chester county after my first one expired. Each time the process was essentially the same, taking a few weeks each time to get it in the mail using just the form.

(Delaware County)

Sergeant Kittridge (the enormously rotund man who doesn't fit into any level of body armor anymore) is the guy who runs the Montgomery County LTCF area. He sits right in the middle of the little office for licensing.

He is a bitter, angry man who thinks anyone who is a "stickler for the rules" when it comes to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the State law or the law in general is a disrespectful troublemaker who's only out to get under the LawMan's skin and antagonize the cops. From my experiences with him, he has no interest in what the actual laws are that he is tasked with protecting and enforcing (which is a very, very small section of State code, lol) and wants to do it "their way" at the expense of all else.

To be honest, in most cases, if you go get your little local police check card done on your own time and bring it back to him, they do get your LTCF done in a very short period of time, often the same day.

The people above him are MUCH more personable. There is a Lieutenant T.J. Thomas who is VERY friendly and is open to reasonable, intelligent conversation. At some point, I plan on making a case to the Sherriff's department to remove the "Local Police Check Card" step since it's not included in Title 18 and, if they refuse to process applications without it, is a regulation of the "lawful possession, transfer [and] transportation of firearms...when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Sergeant Kittridge (the enormously rotund man who doesn't fit into any level of body armor anymore) is the guy who runs the Montgomery County LTCF area. He sits right in the middle of the little office for licensing.

He is a bitter, angry man who thinks anyone who is a "stickler for the rules" when it comes to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the State law or the law in general is a disrespectful troublemaker who's only out to get under the LawMan's skin and antagonize the cops. From my experiences with him, he has no interest in what the actual laws are that he is tasked with protecting and enforcing (which is a very, very small section of State code, lol) and wants to do it "their way" at the expense of all else.

To be honest, in most cases, if you go get your little local police check card done on your own time and bring it back to him, they do get your LTCF done in a very short period of time, often the same day.

The people above him are MUCH more personable. There is a Lieutenant T.J. Thomas who is VERY friendly and is open to reasonable, intelligent conversation. At some point, I plan on making a case to the Sherriff's department to remove the "Local Police Check Card" step since it's not included in Title 18 and, if they refuse to process applications without it, is a regulation of the "lawful possession, transfer [and] transportation of firearms...when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."
    The statute says that the sheriff is to conduct an investigation, and they've been given access to PICS for that purpose (it was intended only for gun purchases, originally). I'm not sure what the legal justification is to farm the work out to the applicant and the local PD, other than the questionable theory that the local cops know each of the 20,000 residents in their bailiwick personally, and can vouch for their good character.

In fact, given the availability of high-quality printers, and Photoshop, why would they trust the applicant to bring in the card himself? Wouldn't it make more sense for the sheriff to call the local PD and ask them directly? "Hey, Ilich Ramírez Sánchez who resides in your boro at 5161 Armed Compound Lane is applying for an LTCF, he has no convictions, do you guys suspect him of anything?"
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Just got the call about a minute ago, my application has been approved.

They didn't even make me wait the full 45.

Looks like I have a pre-work errand tomorrow...

(Delaware County)

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

I am suprised of the description. I knew Paul and his family during the 80s. I know he was later a Chief of Police for a PD. I knew him as honorable, hard working and honest. Maybe the Sheriff has introduced these restrictions. I would believe that the people above him are the culprits. Remember the illegal police check card, the failure to issue to nonresidents have been imposed by the prior Sheriff. Again Paul was always a decent person when I knew and worked with him in the 1980's.

(Montgomery County)

FWIW, Sgt Kitterage actually wasn't the person who gave me a hard time. I had the same clerk when I stopped in to pick up my license, he sat off to the left, not the right.

Here's a couple things that struck me as "different" during the process...

1. When I gave the guy my name and ID, he muttered under his breath "another B lister." I wonder what that means Sure sounds like more and more people are refusing to do the police check card.

2. When he was printing up my license, he gave this spiel where he said "this handout tells you of some common sense places where you can't carry a gun." At this point the rest became "blah, blah, blah..." because we all here know that "common sense" in the context of firearm restrictions is often anything but. I'll definitely follow all applicable laws, but you all know what I mean here. Just came off as "we're giving you this privilege" and not "here's the means to exercise your rights."

3. Something must've changed in the couple years since I've last had a LTCF, because instead of being printed on heavy plastic just like a driver's license, it now looks like a cheaply laminated and easily reproducible business card. I noticed that the company who makes the laminating machine is from PA, so I bet that has something to do with it.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post

3. Something must've changed in the couple years since I've last had a LTCF, because instead of being printed on heavy plastic just like a driver's license, it now looks like a cheaply laminated and easily reproducible business card. I noticed that the company who makes the laminating machine is from PA, so I bet that has something to do with it.
    Part of the "modernization" a year or two ago was all counties getting new, uniform license-making equipment. In some cases the newer licenses look less professional than the old ones.

In defense of the new ones, however, my current laminated license is far more resistant to being worn away by scuffing than the credit card style license that Cumberland County issued around ten years ago. There was no top protective layer on that card and the printing started to wear away (and/or transfer to whatever card was in front of it in my wallet).
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Went down to Norristown 2 weeks ago with the idea that I would let them take care of the police check since the website said it might only result in a 45day wait (I was in no hurry). I was told that a deputy would have to be pulled off normal duty to drive up and check my residence. Not wanting to pull a deputy from normal duty (if true) was reason enough to drop it off myself (5 min from home), didn't feel like the day to argue about the legality of it.. there were many in line behind me.
    Dropped off the police check form and a very courteous woman took it and said it would take two weeks. Went back in two weeks... different nice woman pulled it out of the file for me and I saw it had been done in a few days.
    Returned to Norristown about 10:30AM, no line and I was out of there in 15 min. with LTCF. The guys behind the counter were even in good spirits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast