Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Post fire arm trainging in montco area.

I want to have my gf take a class. Shes a new shooter and is still scared of shooting even though she has gone with me numerous times. She has two guns of her own a 22lr for target and carries a s&w. Body guard .380 and she hates that one to death lol. I was wondering if there were any self defense courses in the montco area that also train first time hand gunners. I would like to take the class also because you can never have enough training. But who knows I might even be doing something wrong when I shot even though I was taught from a phila police officer but there are always people out there that can teach you new tricks . Please let me know if any are around thanks.
    Last edited by sheffron23; March 15th, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
    If guns kill people. Then Spoons make people fat!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: fire arm trainging in montco area.

For first time pistol shooters, I would reccomend an NRA first steps or basic pistol class. They are the "basics" of safety and shooting, and are a good foundation to build from.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

(Montgomery County)

Consider joining a local gun club. In addition to a dedicated range, you may get access to all kinds of training courses.

I am partial to LPRGC, located just off Rt 422 in Oaks. In addition to classes, they hold a pistol clinic every month for free. The value of the clinic would cover your membership.

(Northampton County)

Like Cfurlo said, I would suggest that your girlfriend starts with a basic pistol course then works up to a defensive pistol course. To me, there is no sense in learning defensive skills when one does not understand the fundamentals.

I hold NRA Basic Pistol Shooting and defensive pistol courses in the Lehigh Valley, but I can travel to your location. My NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course runs $100.

Our schedules are pretty full, but we are looking at adding another course in early April and another course in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I am partial to LPRGC, located just off Rt 422 in Oaks. In addition to classes, they hold a pistol clinic every month for free. The value of the clinic would cover your membership.
    Maybe our club pistol clinic should include counseling for those unable to find ammo. ..

On a serious note, LPRGC is a great club. If you'd like to get a flavor of the club, come out for a Friday night public trap shoot. You can meet a lot of folks and shoot trap. As a member, you would also be able to attend the Wednesday night trap clinic.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

How much is a membership there? For the yr? Is it a one time payment. I already have a sponsor if i go there. Just havent got around to doing so. I also shoot at topon but they have no classes. . And thanks for the input from you all.

(Montgomery County)

Also if i get a membership there can i bring anyone in the family for free or do i need a guest pass. My dads a retired Philly cop and now work for the feds.and he teaches me when i bringhim to topton but dont have to pay to get him in

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sheffron23 View Post
    How much is a membership there? For the yr? Is it a one time payment. I already have a sponsor if i go there. Just havent got around to doing so. I also shoot at topon but they have no classes. . And thanks for the input from you all.
    $116 per year (though it goes down as the year goes on, right now it would be $87). $100 initiation fee for your first year.
    If you want to bring guests, you can get a guest pass for $30 that allows you to bring two guests at a time.

There are more details about membership here.

(Chester County)

I have two friends who are NRA instructors. One is a member of Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club and the other lives in Quakertown. I'm sure that either one of them may be able to give you the training that you're interested in.

(Pike County)

I teach in Bucks and Center city Philadelphia, but I charge more than rmagill does ($125 for the first steps), so the call is yours and certainly no hard feelings, if you'll pick him. He's a fine instructor for all I know. My next scheduled class is on may 5th, but I can arrange something earlier, whatever is more convenient for you.

Also, if your gf will be more comfortabe with female instructor, then I can arrange that too.
    Je suis déplorable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast