Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default 45 ACP projectile confusion

Last night, I just purchased a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP. On my way back from the shop, I stopped in Cabelas to see if they had any reloading components. They had some Berrys plated RN .452" & Winchester FMJ .452". I've only loaded 9mm & 308, so I asked the guy on duty & he said they were for Long Colt & they wouldn't work for ACP since they weren't .451". I thought that was odd since it's just .001". Anyways, I've been doing google searches & searches here on PAFOA, and I'm still a bit confused. Some people say .452 for lead & .451 for jacketed, but some others say the .452 works fine for both & not to worry about it. Wikipedia lists the bullet diameter as .452. My manual specifies .451 for jacketed & .452 for lead, but that's just 1 manual & they do all have slightly different data it seems.

Going by this, the Berrys they had would be fine at .452, since they're plated? Has anyone shot the .452 jacketed from their 1911s with no problem? Seems like alot of misinformation on the web. I know I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'm hoping to get a clear answer before buying components.

Thanks,
    Jay

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 45 ACP projectile confusion

It's more the shape and length then the diameter. The LC bullets are longer and heavier because .... the case is longer. Also LC rounds don't need to follow a feed ramp.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Susquehanna County)

Generally speaking BOTH .45 Colt and .45 ACP use .451" dia. (jacketed) and .452" (Cast) and plated bullets are essentially cast with a thin copper electroplate so .452 is good for them. On a historical note .45 Colt pistols manufactured before WWII have a nominal groove dia. of .454".

If you want to see the official SAAMI specs go here:
    http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf

SAAMI calls for a .452" (jacketed) and a .453 (lead) bullet diameter. Tolerance in both cases is -.003". Draw your own conclusions.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Ok thanks all. That's a useful pdf. Saving it for future reference.

-Jay