Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default carry gun for women

For my girlfriends birthday this year (the big 30) i was going to get her a carry piece but not sure what to get her. I was looking at the springfield xd9 subcompact or some of the lady smiths. Not sure which would be better. Any suggestions?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: carry gun for women

Before you buy her a semi-auto, I'd take her to the range and find out what type of gun she prefers. I've went through a few guns with my wife and she's finally happy with an LCR. Over the years she's developed carpal tunnel and can't rack a slide to save her life, so a revolver it is and the LCR is a great little piece.

I'd just make sure that she likes semi-autos before you buy her one. If she does prefer semi-autos and can manipulate one, I'd suggest a Keltec PF9, maybe an XDs .45 or a Sig P239. If she would prefer a revolver, I'd suggest an LCR or a S&W 442/642.

I have left out .380s because with the selection of small 9mm available today, they're only a tad bigger. But if you like .380, an LCP or Sig p238.

Cheers!

~r~

(Philadelphia County)

she has been to the range with me quite alot recently and is a better shot than me. She has only shot .22 and 9mm. so i was thinking of staying with those for her, she shot my model 29 and wanted to kill me, so im thinking no to the bigger calibers. I was also thinking something that shoots 38s then if think she can handle it 357s but im thinking 9mm

(Bucks County)

More than likely you'll scare her if you put some .357s in a short barrel revolver and have her shoot it. Buffalo Bore makes some great low flash, ammo in .38 and .357 for short barrels. If you go that route, get some of that for defensive loads.

Good luck.

~r~

(Philadelphia County)

cool, thanks for the info!

(Centre County)

There is always a 9mm 1911 - about the softest recoiling 9mm out there...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Unless I had told someone exactly what handgun I wanted, I would never want anyone to buy a pistol for me. It is such a personal choice, I wouldn't dare try to make that choice for someone else. Maybe give her a price range and let her decide? If thats not an option, then you really need to narrow down between an auto and a revolver. As a carry gun, you would be looking at a snubbie, and if she doesn't care for recoil that much, I certainly wouldn't go over a .38, which is more than capable of getting the job done. In auto land, there are a billion different choices in a compact 9mm. Two I have had experience with are a Kel Tec PF9 and a Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact. Both shot fine, although the recoil was less in the PX4, and it felt and looked like a much higher quality gun, which it is. If I was in the market for a carry pistol, the PX4 would be near the top of my list. I'd also check out the M&P Shield, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

(Philadelphia County)

that is true, but she is not good with the upkeep of the cleaning and oiling, so thats why I was looking at the polymer and wheel guns. But thanks for the info

(Armstrong County)

My wife has fired most of my Glocks and likes them. But for a carry weapon, there are a few hick-ups that could occur with any semi-auto and it take training for anyone to quickly respond to a jam not to mention the possibility of short stroking the slide increasing the possibility of failure to fire.

For her she liked the Smith 642, a +p rated 38 sp.
    Its very light, smallish, hammerless and dehorned. Nothing to snag when pulling it from it's carrying cover.

Other plus's are most new carriers won't carry with a round in the chamber of a auto and believe that they'll have time to chamber a round if needed. This is largely false.
    Carry one the round and with some semi-autos she'll also need to contend with a safety.
    With a revolver there are none of these worries.

(Delaware County)

Before you buy her a semi-auto, I'd take her to the range and find out what type of gun she prefers.
    Let her pick something. I've been down that road. After I bought her a revolver, she decided she liked one of my semi autos.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast