Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Streamlight TLR4 Light/Laser Combo Review

Lots of shooters out there think they need a laser and light for their defensive guns but don't want to break the bank to have that capability; that's the niche the Streamlight TLR-4 is trying to fill. Here's what I've found in my testing.

Pros:
    -Cost. The light can be had for around $120 shipped.
    -Uses one 3V CR2 lithium battery.
    -Fits on most modern rail systems and has a couple different inserts for secure fitting
    -It handles recoil well. I've used the light on my G20 with hot ammo as well as on an AK with 0 issues from the recoil
    -Toggle switch allows either laser only, light only, or both on function modes.
    -110 lumen output. It's a nice white light with a good peripheral cone.
    -Relatively small (2.7'' long) which a lot of guys like for use on medium frame handguns (G19/P229/ect..).
    -Lightweight. Weighs 2.8oz with batteries.
    -1.5 hour constant run time.
    -Uses a common rocker system for both momentary on and constant on operation.
    -Laser is windage/elevation adjustable for zeroing the laser.

Cons:
    -It is secured with a clip (see video for explanation/demonstration) to mount to a rail.
    -It's not as bright as some lights on the market.

Summary:

It's a good light for those on a budget that want a light they can depend on backed up by a good warranty should an issue ever arise. Is it the brightest light on the market? Nope. But it's probably bright enough for most shooters needs and certainly bright enough to momentarily disorient an attacker if shined in their eyes.

Here's a video showing the light in use on several guns, a comparison with the 300 lumen TLR1 and a 104 lumen LED Maglite, followed by a demonstration of how it mounts and how to operate the light:

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Streamlight TLR4 Light/Laser Combo Review

Good summary!

I just got 2 of these and planning on getting 2 more. I sold my Sig STL-900L to raise funds for the first 2. I'm listing my Glock GTL-22 to raise funds for the next 2. I bought mines from grabagun.com for under $110 with free shipping.

I have the TLR-2 as well and like the way you activate the light/laser. It's simple with the lever like the Glock light/laser (although I have both the GTL-21 and GTL-22 and they don't work the same way, something I really hated). The Sig STL-900L was very cumbersome with a bunch of different buttons.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Monroe County)

I just got a tlr 3 and for the money it's just what I need. Lights up the apartment and doesn't over do it so I get spill back and get blinded by my own light
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Good summary!

I just got 2 of these and planning on getting 2 more. I sold my Sig STL-900L to raise funds for the first 2. I'm listing my Glock GTL-22 to raise funds for the next 2. I bought mines from grabagun.com for under $110 with free shipping.

I have the TLR-2 as well and like the way you activate the light/laser. It's simple with the lever like the Glock light/laser (although I have both the GTL-21 and GTL-22 and they don't work the same way, something I really hated). The Sig STL-900L was very cumbersome with a bunch of different buttons.

Al
    Good upgrade there. I'm often accused of being a Glock fanboy (me? no...... ) but I think the lights they put out are no where near the competition in terms of price/quality/output.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    Good upgrade there. I'm often accused of being a Glock fanboy (me? no...... ) but I think the lights they put out are no where near the competition in terms of price/quality/output.
    Fanboy. Hah! I have just about every carry and HD pistol option available to me, but my primary carry is a G26 and primary HD pistol is a G19. I guess I'm a Glock fanboy because I chose the most reliable pistol on the planet to protect my family and myself.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Allegheny County)

To bad this was not on the market when I got my TLR-2s. Although I guess I would have to give up the strobe feature.

Seems like a nice compact package.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion