Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default advice needed would like to kit build a rifle

I have been looking at kit building an ak , but I already have one so I shifted my attention to building something along the lines of an svd or similar style rifle . but as I have been researching the svd platform rifles are significantly different from the ak so whats your opinions on something like a rpk clone an dressed out like an svd ? an what things should I consider while doing this ,I have moderate skills an tooling but the reciever is probably the most daunting part of the job as well as the heat treating . thanks in advance for any advice .
    Bodymangt

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: advice needed would like to kit build a rifle

It sounds like you want to build a Romanian PSL. It's no more difficult than building an AK. Apex has parts kits. Barrels are currently difficult to find.

(Lehigh County)

Did you ever build one before? At the least there are a few tools you need. A press for the barrel, riveting tool, drill jig etc... How much experience do you have? How about the tools? If you have the basics, I am sure someone on here will help you. The receiver is the easy part once you have everything you need. I suggest buying a nodak receiver rather than bending one yourself.

(Beaver County)

thanks gentlemen , i have some very basic tooling an a 15 ton mechanical press for pressing bearings in an out an a good welder , a rivet tool or a drill jig I do not have , an also this would be my first build . i like to challenge myself , so I guess the psl is the way I would like to go , challenging but not overly complex, I have built everything from custom cars ,an guitars to scratchbuilt legal mopeds I also have a limited knowledge of machine work .
    so any advice on this is not falling on deaf ears , any specific areas or tooling advice is apreciated .
    Bodymangt
    p.s. I been told I would be better off buying one but its so much more satisfing when you have done it your self , what your opinions about that ?

(York County)

cold steel solutions offers a receiver blank that is uncut in terms of magwell or holes of any kind.

(Lehigh County)

I have two receiver blanks on order from Cold Steel, it's been 6 weeks since I ordered, still no word. A post on another forum said they are 8-9 weeks out. I can wait. TGI has original Romanian and Nodak receivers for the PSL, and they have been popping up pretty regularly on Gunbroker too.
    Prexis is the only source I know of for PSL barrels, they are supposedly 14 weeks out but I think the reality is more like 6-12 months, if ever. The PSL is criticized for having too thin a barrel, so I'm turning my own 24" bull barrel from a blank.

(Beaver County)

thanks guys im checking out different barrel makers an have found a few different recievers in various stages of completion , i am leaning twards the demilled one just for eas of assembly an skill level