Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default .45 ACP wheel gun

Looking for a wheel gun in .45 ACP. S&W sells two the 425 and 625 but they are way out of my price budget. Taurus came out with their version a while ago but from what I can see it has been discontinued.

Any other suggestions out there?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .45 ACP wheel gun

I shot a fellow members' Taurus 45acp revolver a few weeks back. Easy shooting, not as smooth as a Smith. I have no clue where the bullets were landing, i only shot one cylinders worth.
    I've also always had this type on my "wish list", but it never really gets pushed to top priority. One option I've considered is the S&W Brazilian models that can be had for $400-500 in gc.

(Westmoreland County)

Ruger Vaquero seems to have some .45 ACP's along with the long colts. I personally like the birdshead model but then you are approaching the S&W prices.

I own a 325 Thunder Ranch. It's damn near perfect, IMNSHO. It's pricey, however - and hard to find. King's in King of Prussia had a used one for around $900 a couple of months ago, and Classic Pistol had a new one for $1200 last year.

S&W and Colt made the M1917 revolver in .45acp. My dad has one. It's got a really heavy DA trigger pull, but it's a nice shooter. You can find those for less than $500 if you look around.

S&W also makes the Governor, which fires .45 acp, 45LC, and .410. Since they were competing against Taurus' Judge revolver, the price for the Governor is lower than what S&W usually charges for their other guns. You can find used versions for less than $500. The Governor is 6 shots where the Judge only holds 5.

You can also find Webley MK revolvers that have been converted from .455 to .45 acp. I wouldn't recommend one converted to .45 unless you reload. The Webley wasn't designed to take the pressure of the .45 acp, so if you did want to shoot a conversion, you would need to shoot light reloads. Even then, I would recommend getting it checked by a gunsmith before shooting a conversion Webley. Great guns, though. A Webley Mk VI is on my short list of must haves.

Most of the Ruger single actions come in .45 LC and .45 ACP.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm looking for at least a five shot instead of a single. Plan on using it as my back up when hunting. I'm using my Browning Hi-power now only because besides my CC LC9 it's the lightest pistol I have that I want to lung around all day on a hunting trip.

(York County)

S&W Model 25, 325 and 625 are the way to go if you want a modern swing out 45ACP wheel gun. They can be found on the used market. If your goal is to have light weight gun the 325 (thunder ranch, night guard, airlite) series are the lightest. I owned a 325NG and it is one of the guns I regret selling the most. My go to gun is a 625-8 for competitions. All my smiths shoot very well.

If you are looking for a single action the rugers can't be beat in their price range.

Taurus makes them but they are hit and miss. You might get a great one or you might get a lemon.

By back up hunting gun do you mean for self defense or to take game? If for self defense a shorter barreled swing out revolver I think would be best. For taking game a longer barreled single action would be good. I carry a S&W 625 mountain gun in 45 colt as my back up, good for all manner of critters both 2 and 4 legged.

I have found the governer/judge to be kinda awkward and when carried. It is a neat idea and I almost bought one to use for rabbits and squirrels but after handling and shooting my BILs it just wasn't for me.

(Lycoming County)

May I ask why .45 acp in a revolver. If it is for self defense carry why not an auto. If you plan on actually trying to take deer size game with a pistol I wouldn't recomend .45acp. Unless you reload speciffically for a revolver most .45 loads would not make very good hunting rounds IMO. I would go with at least a .357 magnum loaded with a cast solid bullet for deer sized game. I carry a ruger gp 100 in .357 as a back up when I hunt and it is a nice gun to carry. They will be lots of options in .357 out their.

(Montgomery County)

If you are set on a .45 ACP wheel gun I would also suggest the S&W models. Considering the cost of .45 ACP ammo, the cost of a S&W 625 is nothing compared to ten years of regular shooting (at the amounts I shoot). Before the prices went up rapidly, it was possible to get a case (1k rounds) of .45 ACP for about 350 USD. By my own type of algebra, the cost of ammo far outweighs the cost of an "expensive" revolver. However, most people do not shoot as much as I... which is fine.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 BLACKBIRD View Post
    but from what I can see it has been discontinued.
    And impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by SR-71BLACKBIRD View Post
    Any other suggestions out there?
    Look for the value of these 45 acp Trackers to hold or go up in value. The questionable DA/SA triggers are easy to lighten and get smooth, though every Tracker I've shot had a very good trigger in SA. The DA is fairly heavy. If you can find one for $500, or better, grab it, otherwise you're pretty much stuck with a $700 Ruger or $800+ S&W. The only other suggestion I have that hasn't been offered is get a revolver that isn't as rare. A 44 mag is a little better round to have in your sleeping bag and the guns are available. Buds has the Tracker 44B for under $500, NIB, and some dealers still sell them for under $500, though I'm seeing them as high as $600. For that price, you can get a 7" Ruger Redhawk, used, and have 6 shots instead of 5, and you don't have to worry about controlling the recoil with the Ruger in the event one of your hands isn't free. You can also shoot 44 specials with the magnum revolver and have a round very close to what a 45 acp is when comparing similar bullet weights, but that's like putting a 12" blade on a 20 HP V-twin B&S rider.

The Tracker is fairly light, but needs some DA trigger lightening. The Ruger can double as a club that will knock out all but the largest of beasts, but has the weight you don't want to carry. The S&W carries the $$$$$ tag, but we all know why that is. Long story short...at least consider a different caliber and you'll have many more options in the lower price range.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast