Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: .45 ACP wheel gun

Thanks guys. Looking for a back up to defend against 2 and four legged critters while deer hunting. So will not be using to take down game.

The reason for wanting the 45 ACP is because I already have two calibers of pistols and do not want to add a third.

I reload, so besides finding primers and brass I'm good on the cost of the .45 rounds. Plus I shoot my 9mm's more because of that.

After hearing your suggestions I'm leaning towards the S&W 325 Thunder Ranch.

I just wish my ambitions didn't out weight the thickness of my wallet . Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the one I want.

I've always been the get what you pay for, and just buy it once and be happy kind of guy.

Here is the only one I can find that I like on gunbroker. I might buy new, maybe.

Gunbroker

Thanks again guys,

G

(Montgomery County)

The SW 625 is the one to go for even with the cost. I picked one up years ago at the VF Gun show for the OTD price of $350 and since I had an LTCF, it was in the days pre PICS/NICS when with the LTCF, you simply walked out with it. It is the 5" model (since banned by IDPA as being too accurate) and with my own 45AR loads, an almost "one-holer" if I can do my bit!!

If anyone can find and buy a clean SW M1917 or even the 1937 Brazilian contract for $500-550 then I will willingly pay an extra C note to them, and the transfer fee. Clean versions of these will sell for $1200 and up for the 1917 and $900 for the 1937. Dave_n

Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 BLACKBIRD View Post
    Thanks guys. Looking for a back up to defend against 2 and four legged critters while deer hunting. So will not be using to take down game.

The reason for wanting the 45 ACP is because I already have two calibers of pistols and do not want to add a third.

I reload, so besides finding primers and brass I'm good on the cost of the .45 rounds. Plus I shoot my 9mm's more because of that.

After hearing your suggestions I'm leaning towards the S&W 325 Thunder Ranch.

I just wish my ambitions didn't out weight the thickness of my wallet . Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for the one I want.

I've always been the get what you pay for, and just buy it once and be happy kind of guy.

Here is the only one I can find that I like on gunbroker. I might buy new, maybe.

Gunbroker

Thanks again guys,

G
    If you want a 325 Thunder Ranch like the one in your link, give King Shooting Supply a call. They had a used one for around $900 in the case back in January. Those don't sell that quickly, so they may still have it. If they don't you can try Classic Pistol. That's where I bought my 325TR from last year. They're the only place I know of that consistently carries that gun because a month after I bought my 325TR, I was in their shop and they had another one.

four legged critters while deer hunting. So will not be using to take down game.

G
    There are some four legged critters out there that could cost you an arm or a leg by not having the right caliber. I love to hunt; been many, many times. I am NOT relying on 45 acp to stop an animal attack. Do what you will; it's your skin. I'd sure as heck get what I needed for reloading to save MY skin. Reloading dies and what not are much cheaper than skin, also. Depending on how much you hunt, you may not even need to reload. There are a lot of nice, used revolvers out there (some new, as well) that combined with quite a few rounds of store bought, critter stoppers, would keep you under the 45 acp revolver price, and keep you from having to reload for a while (and keep your skin on). .357 mag minimum, 41 to 44 mag, for your area; ideal. Sorry to sound pushy, but I saw all the 'Faces of Death' movies where people became snacks, chew toys, and antler sharpeners. 45 acp is just not the best for woods carry; not even good enough to take the risk, IMO.
    Last edited by harold63; March 15th, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added last sentence
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    There are some four legged critters out there that could cost you an arm or a leg by not having the right caliber. I love to hunt; been many, many times. I am NOT relying on 45 acp to stop an animal attack. Do what you will; it's your skin. I'd sure as heck get what I needed for reloading to save MY skin. Reloading dies and what not are much cheaper than skin, also. Depending on how much you hunt, you may not even need to reload. There are a lot of nice, used revolvers out there (some new, as well) that combined with quite a few rounds of store bought, critter stoppers, would keep you under the 45 acp revolver price, and keep you from having to reload for a while (and keep your skin on). .357 mag minimum, 41 to 44 mag, for your area; ideal. Sorry to sound pushy, but I saw all the 'Faces of Death' movies where people became snacks, chew toys, and antler sharpeners. 45 acp is just not the best for woods carry; not even good enough to take the risk, IMO.
    +1 on this ^^^
    .45 is a good round for self defense against the two legged variety of critter (my edc is in .45). If I am seriously hunting any kind of large game with a handgun I break out the .44 mag. I'm sure at 20 feet a .45acp would successfully take a deer size animal but what about 25 or 40 yards away. If you are worried about bear I just don't believe .45acp would have enough penetration or energy to stop one at anything other than point blank range. I personally wouldn't wanted an angry critter that close and possibly really pissed off at me. I don't understand paying $900 or more for a hard to find revolver just to avoid reloading another caliber. You can pick up A solid .357 or .44 revolver for hundreds less $$$$ and still have the money to buy dies and brass to start reloading for said gun. Just my opinion.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm looking for at least a five shot instead of a single.
    There may be some confusion here. The Rugers (I know the SuperBlackhawk for sure) are six round cylinders, but a single action. You have to pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger for each shot.

(Bucks County)

I have a Taurus Tracker in 45 ACP and love it. This is the one Sparxfly72 was referring to. Previous to taking it to an outdoor range I was using the Crimson Trace laser grips for aiming.
    It's a 5-shot that's cut for moon clips. I recently lightened the springs (huge trigger improvement) and after sighting in shoots very accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Python187 View Post
    I recently lightened the springs (huge trigger improvement) and after sighting in shoots very accurately.
    I don't understand why the stock springs that are in the Taurus are so heavy. There is absolutely no way you could ever short stroke one and the mainspring could dent a solid chunk of steel, but you're right, a couple changes and it feels like a Ruger Redhawk...wonderful.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Susquehanna County)

Looking for a wheel gun in .45 ACP. S&W sells two the 425 and 625
    Any other suggestions out there?
    Search the used market for a Model 25-2, one of the current "classic" production Model 22. Even the ugly Thunder Ranch version would be a good find. Be aware there is a version of the Model 22 that "recreates" the 1917 military version with 5" barrel and lanyard ring. Of course you find a current production gun also. Thee's nothing wrong with buying used! Just be sure to read up on what to look for.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Don't forget that TK Custom will mill the rear of a cylinder for moon clips. You could get any .460, .454 Casull, or .45 Colt and have the cylinder milled so that .45 ACP would work fine. OK, so I would call TK before purchase just to make sure they would work on the particular gun.

I would like to send them my SRH Alaskan someday just for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12