Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Ruger sp 101 357 mag 2 1/4" barrel

Hello, I am new to this site and a first time handgun owner. I have been trying to buy a Ruger sp 101 or gp 100 with no luck. I stopped in a gun shop yesterday to see what he had and found the sp 101 357. The store was busy and when I asked the clerk to look at the gun he said he didn't even know it was there it must have just came in the day before. Well I purchased it for $489 new. I was just wondering if this price was too high and if anyone thinks this is a good revolver for a first time handgun owner. Thanks Pete.

Default Re: Ruger sp 101 357 mag 2 1/4" barrel

It's a good price. Have you shot any handguns before? That gun has no porting on the barrel to help reduce recoil, so expect to have to hold on to it when you shoot it. It is a high quality revolver.
    Last edited by harold63; March 11th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Tioga County)

A good choice and one I'm sure you'll enjoy. Get some quality .38 Spl. ammo for practice. It'll save you the punishment of the .357 Mag and allow you to develop your skills.

Also, welcome to PAFOA.

--Phil

I don't think the price was bad at all if its new. That is a very nice revolver, however, since it is a smaller/lighter frame it will have more recoil. I too would recommend starting on .38spl to get comfortable with it, then moving up to .357. I still shoot way more 38 out of my Ruger than 357, it's just much nicer for plinking.

(Wayne County)

Thanks for all the replies. I thought the price was alright but I was just going by the prices I see on the internet. After visiting or calling at least a half dozen gun shops no one had any decent revolvers and had no idea when they could even get any delivered so I jumped on this when I saw it. I have some 38's to start with and a box of 357 for later.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Get some quality .38 Spl. ammo for practice. It'll save you the punishment of the .357 Mag and allow you to develop your skills.
    I always forget this part...
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Very nice choice my buddy has one I have been trying to buy for awhile but he will not sell it.

(Wayne County)

Well took my ruger to the outdoor range in Tobyhanna PA today and shot 30 rounds of 38 spl. the range was empty which I was glad because I am totally new to this, I just wanted to see how the gun felt. I have a lot of practice ahead of me and have not shot any 357's yet. I have a friend who taught shooting in the army, I'm going to see if he can teach me the basics. If I can't get help from my buddy can anyone tell me when I could go and take a course on how to properly shoot a handgun. Sorry for so many questions but I am a total newbie.

(Blair County)

dry fire is your friend. there are a ton of videos on shooting. start close and move back as you get comfortable. take your time. sp101 is a great gun.

(Montgomery County)

That is a good price and congrats for taking it home. I was looking for one with a 3" barrel or a GP100 .357. Found the GP on Saturday and bought it. Going to the range tomorrow with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast