Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Common's OC Experiences.

Now that I’ve gotten to meet with and socialize with some of you at the OC Luncheon this past weekend, I felt I should post here on one of my favorite parts of Second Amendment exercise, openly carrying my pistol into the public.

Over the past few months after getting my LTCF, I’ve made it a point to OC as often as I can, at least one day a week. Sometimes its just on my day-to-day errands, and sometimes I make special trips to different locations with the intent to see what the reactions are. I’ve carried in the ominous Wal-Marts, department and grocery stores, gas stations, malls, restaurants, and even my local bank. Some responses have been positive, some have been awkward, but none outright negative. It strikes me odd that so many people are nervous about the repercussions of OCing, especially those with modern autoloaders in more rural areas, as I am just outside the city limits of Reading, and my most often OC companion is my stainless Ruger .357 wheel gun in prominent point of the hip holster carry.

But individual experiences aside, I believe there’s more to OC than catching stares or intimidating any would-be bad guys. As responsible firearms owners, it lies on us to put a positive face on gun ownership. To help clean up the image that has been so tarnished by the media, politicians, and popular entertainment. We can show people that we are the same common, everyday folk as everyone else, but we openly carry our personal protection. Not because we're paranoid backwoods wackos, but because it is a valid concern in today’s violently dangerous society. We don’t wave them around, nor draw them at every passerby, but live out our normal routines, just a couple ounces heavier to one side or another. We're not looking to be one-(wo)man armies, just hoping to avoid becoming a single-digit statistic.

[/soapbox]

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Common's OC Experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    But individual experiences aside, I believe there’s more to OC than catching stares or intimidating any would-be bad guys. As responsible firearms owners, it lies on us to put a positive face on gun ownership. To help clean up the image that has been so tarnished by the media, politicians, and popular entertainment. We can show people that we are the same common, everyday folk as everyone else, but we openly carry our personal protection. Not because we're paranoid backwoods wackos, but because it is a valid concern in today’s violently dangerous society. We don’t wave them around, nor draw them at every passerby, but live out our normal routines, just a couple ounces heavier to one side or another. We're not looking to be one-(wo)man armies, just hoping to avoid becoming a single-digit statistic.
    Another one "get's it".

Bravo. Happy carrying

(Monroe County)

What he said ^^^^^

Good first post

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Dauphin County)

well said CH

(Berks County)

Would this happened to have been in the Exeter/ Mt. Penn area? I've always wondered how the Central Berks & Exeter police would respond to OCing around here.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

Hello Common, welcome. Just wondering...what type of holster/retention you're using for your Ruger .357?

(Berks County)

Actually, most of it is in the Exeter/Mt Penn/Birdsboro area, as thats where I live. Have had zero issues with any local law enforcment members, both Exeter Township and Central Berks, whom Ive OCed in plain sight around. The few officers Ive gotten to know from the Exeter area are pretty standup guys who I doubt would give someone carrying a hard time.

On holsters, my Ruger rides in, shamefully, a pair of Uncle Mikes sidekicks, one a hip holster, and the other a vertical shoulder carry. Neither are especially fast or attractive, but they offer good retention and 'ok' looks. Im currently bidding on a new proper leather holster from SleazeBay, so hopefully my carry will snazzy up soon.

For what its worth, Ive also recently taken to carrying my Kel-Tec P11 in an AMS ambi holster, which actually gets more looks as an 'evil black gun', despite its diminutive size. People must be able to sense how angry it is.

If anyone in the Central Berks/Reading area is looking to OC for their first time, or just wants to OC more, feel free to PM me and Ill let you in on some good places.

(Berks County)

Hmmmmm... not what I expected. Look like I have to give it a shot.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

(Berks County)

I have only OC'd for about a year and I have yet to have a negative experience, I have had people give a second look a few times. once I was asked if it was legal, but no one has ever called the police or told me I should not be doing that.

The area I live is pretty rural, but I have OC'd in the Stroud mall, and South Whitehall area.

Thanks for sharing or experience.