Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Senate Judiciary Committee Begins Consideration of Feinstein's "Assault Weapons" Bill

Senate Judiciary Committee Begins Consideration of Feinstein's "Assault Weapons" Bill

More Sharing ServicesShare on facebookShare on twitter

On March 7, the Senate Judiciary Committee, led by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), began consideration of several bills, including anti-gun Sen. Dianne Feinstein's S. 150--the "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013."

The controversial bill has already been met with much resistance. During debate on the bill, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) pointed out that "Congress and President Clinton tried a so-called assault weapons ban 19 years ago and we have the benefit of hindsight as well as some research to examine the lackluster results of that decade-long experiment. According to the Department of Justice's own study it was completely ineffectual in reducing murder or violent crime rates."

Cornyn continued, "So, are we really going to pass another law that will have zero effect, and pat ourselves on the back and say 'We've accomplished something wonderful?' Well, we tried this experiment once and it failed, and I think it promotes symbolism over seriousness to repeat that mistake."

Sen. Cornyn also offered an amendment to exempt all U.S. military personnel and veterans from Feinstein's proposed ban, but the measure was rejected by a 9-9 party-line vote. During this portion of debate, Feinstein argued that a military veteran could be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (which she bizarrely claimed was a "new phenomenon as a product of the Iraq war"), and suggested that they should therefore be prevented from buying or "having a weapon like this."

Feinstein, herself, was quoted as saying, "I've been very concerned because the calls have been coming in as if this is some kind of wild eyed scheme." We couldn't agree more.

The committee recessed in the midst of debating the bill and will resume markup of the bill next Thursday, March 14.

Please continue to contact your Senators and tell them to oppose S. 150--the "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013." To identify and contact your legislators in Washington, D.C., you can use the "Write Your Reps" feature at www.NRAILA.org, or you can reach your member of Congress by phone at 202-224-3121.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...pons-bill.aspx

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Senate Judiciary Committee Begins Consideration of Feinstein's "Assault Weapons"

Anyone that has taken a break from contacting your representatives or who has not contacted them yet needs to get started. Here is the Ruger link to get their contact information: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/findYourRep.html

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Senate Judiciary Committee Begins Consideration of Feinstein's "Assault Weapons"

OP: the senate meeting resumes on March 12th at 10am.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by antman View Post

Sen. Cornyn also offered an amendment to exempt all U.S. military personnel and veterans from Feinstein's proposed ban, but the measure was rejected by a 9-9 party-line vote.
    This really pisses me off. Why are my rights less equal to someone who served in the military? Being a veteran doesn't make you special, Senator!

(Delaware County)

I agree with above post. I am a Vet. and I do not see myself being any special then someone who did not serve in the Military. Why would retire police get a free ride to be able to own a AR15 or other type of Military style weapons. These laws suck and I hope they do not pass.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big5 View Post
    I agree with above post. I am a Vet. and I do not see myself being any special then someone who did not serve in the Military. Why would retire police get a free ride to be able to own a AR15 or other type of Military style weapons. These laws suck and I hope they do not pass.
    You guys are taking this the wrong way. He wanted them to go on the record as being anti military. The bill has provisions for retired leo to be exempt and this amendment would have given the same exemption to ex military. BTW you guys that served are special! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Anyone that has taken a break from contacting your representatives or who has not contacted them yet needs to get started. Here is the Ruger link to get their contact information: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/findYourRep.html
    I hear Ya!! I'm back at it. Emails sent via NRA's site, plan to send a second set of emails under separate cover and Monday I will be calling Casey ; Toomey & Meehan.

Take a breather but do not let up!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    BTW you guys that served are special! Thank you

Agree. But if it were me I'm sure they'd want their mother/father/brother/sister/wife/husband/son/daughter to have the same right even if they haven't served. Refreshing to hear the modesty confirming this. Someone who has worked for the govt but still believes others aren't less of a people. I'll hold my breath waiting for LE to come out in droves supporting citizens with EBR's.
    Last edited by khankewycz; March 9th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

(Bucks County)

I'm tired of these traitors infringing on our rights. I'll continue to call and write but in the end " I will not comply".
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Westmoreland County)

Keep sending those letters, emails, phone calls and other "pressure" on Senators Toomey and Casey.

I know that Casey is acting like he's Senator from New Jersey or New York but we'll be remembering him every time we walk into a gun store if he helps to outlaw ugly guns. Senator Casey doesn't have to "apologize" for being pro-Life by being "more Democrat" about gun rights than his constituents.

Mr. Toomey, on the other hand, looks better as time goes by.