Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default 10 X 50 Sightron 6" Sunshade

I couldn't find anyone selling them. The one Sightron has on their website looks short. So I made my own. It needs a good coat of flat black, but I think it came out nice. I'm wondering if anyone else would buy one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 10 X 50 Sightron 6" Sunshade

Nice work, but you might want to thin that shade a bit.

Weight can have a subtle affect on the scope and cause distortion. It may not seem alot, but it can bow the scope even a microscopic fraction of an inch - which would like cause issues especially at longer ranges.

I might be in the market for one.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 8th, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Nice work, but you might want to thin that shade a bit.

Weight can have a subtle affect on the scope and cause distortion. It may not seem alot, but it can bow the scope even a microscopic fraction of an inch - which would like cause issues especially at longer ranges.

I might be in the market for one.
    Thanks Knight,
    I was thinking about throwing an indicator on the scope objective and seeing if it put any stress on the end. If so, I will thin it. I was a little concerned about tool chatter on the thin wall!

I agree with knight, it looks way too heavy to me. I can see it putting quite a bit of strain on those really fine, thin threads. Because the lenses are typically a little further back, I don't think most would get bowed from the weight, but it's possible. I'd be more worried just about weight on the threads, and the weight added to the rifle. There's some other things you may consider. Have you actually used the sunshade? One thing that I noticed that you may not have considered is that most quality sunshades have little grooves cut on the inside of the shade. This helps keep the light from reflecting and being bounced down the tube. If the light is just reflecting down the tube, which would be very likely, it'll just cause glare, or other chromatic anomalies. Honestly, I don't like sunshades that are super long. I think they sometimes get to looking ridiculous, and they don't necessarily work a lot better. My other concern would be why wouldn't someone just buy an ARD, or the material to make an ARD; they do sell it. Either way, that looks really good, and I can appreciate the machining.