Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tumble clean live ammo?

I searched but did not find anything. So here is my tale of woe. Yesterday I was picking my truck up at the shop, where they were fixing a brake problem. As I was getting in, I opened the rear door to put my paperwork in the back, and a partial box of bulk load .22 LR fell out onto the parking space. About 250-300 loose rounds were spread out in the grit, the oil, and the water lying on the concrete.

I was already late for picking up Mrs. Plinker, so I collected it as quickly as possible and stuffed it the only place I had- back in the box. So now I have a bunch of dirty ammo. I can't really see a problem with this idea, but I would be interested to know if anyone here has any real info on whether or not it is safe to run this through my brass tumbler, or should I look for a different way to clean this stuff up. So far the biggest potential problem I have identified is that the rounds may slip through the slots in the basket for sorting the brass from the cleaning media.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Tumble clean live ammo?

I have done it before with some of my 5.56 reloads. They shot through my ar with no problems after. One concern I would/did have was that the tumbling may have broken down the powder inside more than it should have. I didnt shoot them in a situation where I could tell if it had an effect on accuracy or velocity though. If I were you I would just throw some in as a test so if it does effect them you dont lose them all.

(Blair County)

I tumble reloads when im done. never had a problem.

I've heard before that tumbling can cause the powders to break down and change how they burn. Whether it's true or not I can't say for certain but it made enough sense to where I've never tumbled live ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Factory ammo is cleaned prior to boxing. I know people who tumble clean after reloading to get case lube off with no ill affects. I'd be more concerned about water or oil getting into the cartridge. Rimfires don't seal up as good as centerfire cartridges.

(Allegheny County)

I have absolutely ZERO understanding of what "tumbling" entails, but wouldn't you be concerned about the bullets loosening.
    I mean, most 22 ammo I've used seems ridiculously loose to begin with. Would bouncing it around cause any problems in that regard?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clarion County)

I have tumbled centerfire ammo for a short period, 15 minutes or so, to clean off any lube. Was hesitant for a long time when I read tumbling may affect the deterrent coating on the powder altering burning rate. However various chrono studies indicate this is not the case even after prolonged tumbling. Some interesting pics of tumbled powder here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989...nds_in_OP.html

Also I use a wire mesh colander bought at the dollar store to separate the media. I like the dollar store as I don't have to dress up like when you go to Wal Mart.
    Last edited by cephas; March 7th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Brass tumblers work through vibration, not actual tumbling. There could be a risk of loosening things up, but not much. 5 minutes in the tumbler would clean the dirt and grit off.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    I have tumbled centerfire ammo for a short period, 15 minutes or so, to clean off any lube. Was hesitant for a long time when I read tumbling may affect the deterrent coating on the powder altering burning rate. However various chrono studies indicate this is not the case even after prolonged tumbling. Some interesting pics of tumbled powder here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/989...nds_in_OP.html

Also I use a wire mesh colander bought at the dollar store to separate the media.
    I like the dollar store as I don't have to dress up like when you go to Wal Mart.

OK, THAT was funny.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cumberland County)

I recently had a similar incident. Was out shooting with a bunch of buddies on a big tract of land a friend uses for hunting. We had one small card table for guns and ammo (poor planning) and it was overloaded and on uneven ground. One of the legs gave out and two full 500 round boxes of my precious .22 stash went flying into a light coating of snow over mud and grass. I picked them up and tossed them in the bottom of a .30 caliber ammo can, grass and mud and all. I shot about 350 of them today, no issues whatsoever, but I did shoot the majority out of a revolver.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast