Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W Sigma 40 Review

Sigma pistols have a mixed record among the shooting public with many saying they're complete garbage while others saying they're a great bang for your buck. Here's what I've found of them over the years as well as specifically the Sigma 40...

Pros:
    -Price. These guns can be had for roughly $300 +- $50 even today
    -Fairly accurate pistols. In terms of inherent accuracy, this gun groups around 3'' at 25 yards with most defensive ammo (seems to like 165gr loads)
    -Reliability. I know some will (truthfully) report otherwise but every Sigma pistol I've laid my hands on has been very reliable.
    -Easy to maintain
    -Easy to field strip
    -Good amount of aftermarket support
    -14+1 capacity
    -Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
    -Ergonomic frame
    -Trigger has a positive reset

Cons:
    -Trigger. This has been slightly improved in the newer "SD" models but the Sigma trigger is heavy (this one around 9lbs) and has an overly long reset point. This really is the biggest "con" of the gun and ruins the gun for a lot of folks out there.
    -The rail doesn't work with most modern lights/lasers. There are adaptors (as shown in the video) available however.

All in all it's a decent gun for shooters looking to not spend a lot of money but still have a reliable platform. Would it be my first choice? No, but there are worse options out there in my opinion.

Here's a video with a little shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, a size comparison with other guns, and a discussion of the pros and cons of the pistol:

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: S&W Sigma 40 Review

I have a Sigma i use for daily carry and i cant find much in faults with it. I added a Houge slip on grip and dabbed the sights with some bright orange paint...that made it so much easier for me to shoot. Never had an issues with it except the trigger...which i found out S&W will do a "trigger" job for free to smoothen things out.

(Allegheny County)

I had the 9mm version and liked it, minus the proprietary rail and the trigger. After three years I decided to upgrade to the M&P in 40. I later sold it to buy accessories (mags, holster, light) for the M&P.

Given the current political climate I wish I had kept it as a backup firearm as I bought it in Ohio when I lived there so there is no PA purchase record.

The new SD line seems to have a better trigger (but not good) and a standard rail. I've dry fired but never shot one though. Now that the SD series are at the Sigma price point I think they bring good value at the price point.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Optikalillushun View Post
    I have a Sigma i use for daily carry and i cant find much in faults with it. I added a Houge slip on grip and dabbed the sights with some bright orange paint...that made it so much easier for me to shoot. Never had an issues with it except the trigger...which i found out S&W will do a "trigger" job for free to smoothen things out.
    I use the gun the same and feel the same. Not one single malfunction and for CC I like the way it feels inside my belt, holds 14+1, I think the heavy trigger and no external safty is exactly what I want in a CC gun. I am however interested in the S&W free trigger job. could you elaborate on what you found I also sent a PM asking the same basically.

I have considered many times removing the springs to make the trigger lighter, but just can't bring myself to do it because it is my carry gun and I worry that it might effect reliability.

(York County)

While I don't own one personally, my brother does and I shoot it every time we go out to the range together. I haven't experienced anything that would discount its reliability and it is a pleasure to shoot. Take that for what it's worth, but if I was looking for a handgun in that price range, I wouldn't avoid these.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Optikalillushun View Post
    Never had an issues with it except the trigger...which i found out S&W will do a "trigger" job for free to smoothen things out.
    definitely interested in this, the son-in-law has one but it sits in the safe because he's not that big of a fan of the trigger. Also, please update this after the job is done to let us know if it was quote worth it unquote

(Dauphin County)

Talking Re: S&W Sigma 40 Review

Great review. Quality video. Gonna subscribe to see your other reviews. I like how the bullets/fragments splash the water after hitting the steel targets. I carry this gun {sigma} instead of a XDm 3.8 in 40 S&W because the grip/handle of the gun feels better inside the waste band and prints much less than the XDm. The Xdm holds two more rounds but seems to stick out 2 more inches and prints terribly in comparison. Good to see the Sigma getting an honest review. What gun is a better value? When I bought this gun it was $300 with a $50 mail in rebate and two more magazines from S&W. So $250 for a gun that does nothing but work and the more I shoot with this heavy trigger I get better on all my other guns.

(Lehigh County)

there is a spring job you can do on the trigger and it makes a world of difference. there is aslo a custom laser you can put on that matches the contour of the gun. I have a pdf about the trigger reduction if anyone needs it.
    Here is a pic of mine with the custom laser.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Dauphin County)

Relaibility after the spring job??

(Northumberland County)

Will do, hope to send it off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    definitely interested in this, the son-in-law has one but it sits in the safe because he's not that big of a fan of the trigger. Also, please update this after the job is done to let us know if it was quote worth it unquote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast