Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock SS Guide Rod Assembly

I saw a couple of threads about this but all were a few years old. In case something has changed with production, I figured a new thread wouldn't hurt.

I know... if it is not broken, don't fix it... But, I came across a pretty good deal for a Lonewolf stainless steel guide rod assembly at a gun show and picked it up just to see what everyone likes about them. I put it in my Gen 3 23 which only had about 100 rounds through it without a single issue. Took it to the range this past weekend and had 5 or 6 failure to ejects over about 150 rounds. The ONLY change I have made is aftermarket guide rod assembly. I immediately put the stock polymer assembly back in after cleaning the gun - but I haven't had a chance to take it back out to the range to ensure that that was indeed the cause of my issue.

Looking back, it was a pointless purchase. Nothing is wrong with the stock assembly and if it didn't work properly, Glock wouldn't be installing them in their guns. More than anything, I got in the mood to do some tinkering - shame on me.

So, has anyone had a similar issue? I'm doubtful, but was wondering if there is a break in period for these assemblies? If so, I would have thought 150 rounds would suffice. Just debating if I should shoot some more with it or send it back to Lonewolf...

Default Re: Glock SS Guide Rod Assembly

You know, I've had the hankering to purchase a replacement guide rod for my Glock 22 myself. I've seen some titanium models that look sweet. Honestly, I think it's hit or miss as far as reliability goes. They are supposed to be drop in parts, but how can they be drop in, if you're experiencing FTF or stovepiping?

On the other hand, parts like a titanium striker pin, now that I would wager would work all day, every day... or would it?

(Bucks County)

The whole idea of the SS guide rod is to give you the ability to change recoil springs. Something the factory glock part does not. Its not needed if you are not pushing past factory loads for your caliber for the most part.

I run a 23lbs spring on a SS rod in my G20, shooting 175gr Winchester Silvertips at 1375 fps.

I also have a 10mm to .40 conversion barrel, and im looking into a .357 sig conversion barrel as well, which i would tailor my recoil spring to those applications as well. So 1 gun, 1 mag, 3 barrels, and i can shoot three calibers reliably.

No break in, and i only ever had issues (stove pipes, failure to feed) when people limp wristed hot loads.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Allegheny County)

I bought one from Zev for the 26 when they offered it. Ordered the lighter springs, and clipped the factory RA to scavenge the springs to use on their GRA.

The lighter springs made the gun shitty with return to battery issues. Not so much when firing, but holstering, and general lethargicness to return to battery if you did a press check.

I wasn't a fan. The screw in the front also loosens without loctite. Fast. It also seems to be a slightly different dimension than the factory GRA and takes a little fumbling to get in and out despite being captured.

Knowing what I know now. I would buy a spare factory GRA instead. Unless I really needed a different spring rate. More trouble than they are worth IMO.

That said - I REALLY like their 2# connector. So so so much actually. And their type R return spring. Combined with the stock striker spring and a LW plunger spring, it's like the ultimate evenly weighted trigger pull in a stock box Glock. You may have heard of the $.25 trigger job. Well that is the $25 trigger job. With enough extra springs to get the pull down into the 2# range if you really wanted. (Which is scary light to me in a gun that gets carried at all) I think my preferred set up is more like 4#.

So no bitch about Zev / Glockworx. But guide rods seem to be more of a pain than they are worth unless you need it to make a spring rate adjustment.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; March 6th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.

(Beaver County)

Got a LW GRA with a barrel purchase from a board member here for my G29. I had nothing but stovepipes with the LW assembly with or without their barrel. Went back to my stock guide rod and their barrel and functioned flawless. Shoots great 180grn cast loads now. Best 65 bucks I spent in a while.

BTW that assembly is now under my bench in the I don't give a shit pile.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.