Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default CC practice question

I posted on here a few weeks ago asking for suggestions for an inexpensive IWB holster to get until can afford a SuperTuck and thanks to your suggestions and info I went out and got a Galco Tuc n Go. So now I need to start practicing drawing and shooting in various situations. I am in college and do not belong to a gun club where I attend school. However, there is a PA game commission public range close to me. My question is can I practice with my new holster at this public range even though I do not have my LTCF? Im not to sure on this though because technically I will be concealing it however I will be legally shooting on a gun range so I am rather confused. I did a search however I cannot find any info. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CC practice question

Holsters usually require a gun to be affective. What sort of gun are you considering to put in your holster?

(Delaware County)

Many ranges prohibit draw and fire - not sure about Game Commission ranges, though.

Also, you need a PA hunting license or Game Commission Range Permit ($30) to use them. Commission ranges also limit handgun loads to 6 rounds, no matter their capacity.

Here's a link to Game Commission range rules:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    Many ranges prohibit draw and fire - not sure about Game Commission ranges, though.

Also, you need a PA hunting license or Game Commission Range Permit ($30) to use them. Commission ranges also limit handgun loads to 6 rounds, no matter their capacity.

Here's a link to Game Commission range rules:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2
    I am aware of all of those rules. I guess what I mean is that technically I will be concealing my handgun while Im practicing but I do not have a LTCF yet. So in that sense I would be breaking the law. I just don't know if there is some exceptions for when at a gun range

(Bucks County)

The only exception is that you can conceal INSIDE your home. Not your work, brother's house, or even your yard. So no, you cannot conceal without a LTCF on/at any gun range.

Go get a LTCF

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    The only exception is that you can conceal INSIDE your home. Not your work, brother's house, or even your yard. So no, you cannot conceal without a LTCF on/at any gun range.

Go get a LTCF
    Thats what I figured but just wanted to ask. Thanks for the info

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    Target shooting is one of the exceptions to 6106. While it requires that the firearm be unloaded during travel to and from the range, that restriction to the exception does not appear to apply at the range when engaged in target shooting. The way the law is phrased, I think that it is legal to practice drawing from concealment while shooting at a range. The OP would be better off getting a license if possible.
    Now I'm confused lol but I can't get my LTCF yet, I don't turn 21 until April but I would like to start practicing now.

(Northampton County)

Not including the guys lucky enough to live at the range, most of the practice should be dryfire drills. Drawing and ready, extending and pressing, the entire movement, etc. Make sure you are facing a direction where your firearm couldn't hurt anyone if it went off anywhere from holster to trigger press or even if you pointed it in a slightly off direction. Obviously make sure it is unloaded and properly cleared, and tell yourself, "I'm practicing dryfire, I'm practicing dryfire, I'm practicing dryfire" before you begin. Once you finish, "Weapons hot, weapons hot, weapons hot, dryfire is over." If you are interrupted during the process by something important (you should not be answering the phone or texts) then make sure you figure out exactly what you are dealing with when you return as far as weapon status is concerned.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Not including the guys lucky enough to live at the range, most of the practice should be dryfire drills. Drawing and ready, extending and pressing, the entire movement, etc. Make sure you are facing a direction where your firearm couldn't hurt anyone if it went off anywhere from holster to trigger press or even if you pointed it in a slightly off direction. Obviously make sure it is unloaded and properly cleared, and tell yourself, "I'm practicing dryfire, I'm practicing dryfire, I'm practicing dryfire" before you begin. Once you finish, "Weapons hot, weapons hot, weapons hot, dryfire is over." If you are interrupted during the process by something important (you should not be answering the phone or texts) then make sure you figure out exactly what you are dealing with when you return as far as weapon status is concerned.
    I am doing dry fire practice but nothing beats live fire practice. That way I know 100% if I am hitting my target etc.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    When I dry fire. I clear the firearm in the room where I store firearms and leave all live ammo and mags with live ammo in that room. I take the firearm (action open) to another room with empty mags and snap caps.

Once in the clean room with no other firearms or ammunition I inspect and clear the firearm, mags and snap caps again before dry firing.

Quote Originally Posted by dj5481 View Post
    I am doing dry fire practice but nothing beats live fire practice. That way I know 100% if I am hitting my target etc.
    Not a complete substitute for live fire but better than standard dry fire.

I recently came across this training firearm replica.

http://www.nextleveltraining.com

Seems this kind of stuff is always built for the Glock platform first. Sometimes makes me wish I had a Glock instead of an M&P.

If they make a M&P version I'll be very tempted to buy one. But I'm already considering the bolt replacement for my AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast