Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Windsor, Vermont, Mt Carmel & Elysburg, PA, Vermont

Default open carry reciprocity question

Friends, I need to know if I'll be legal in Pa for the following circumstances.

1. I grew up in PA, I now live in Vermont, since 1984.

2. I do not need a permit to carry a handgun in Vermont. Yeah !

3. I have a non-resident concealed carry permit for New Hampshire, since I live along the border and often drift across the river into NH.

4. New Hampshire and Pennsylvania have reciprocity for handgun permits. Yes?

5. When I travel in Pennsylvania, may I legally carry a handgun under my New Hampshire non-resident concealed carry permit? I would like to open carry in PA in the woods in Schuyllkill, Northumberland and Columbia Counties, and I need to transport the Ruger Blackhawk, "low capacity six-shooter" in my car. I appreciate you sharing your seasoned knowledge feedback with me on this topic.
    Thank you, Shrubdog.
    only connect...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: open carry reciprocity question

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubdog View Post
    Friends, I need to know if I'll be legal in Pa for the following circumstances.

1. I grew up in PA, I now live in Vermont, since 1984.

2. I do not need a permit to carry a handgun in Vermont. Yeah !

3. I have a non-resident concealed carry permit for New Hampshire, since I live along the border and often drift across the river into NH.

4. New Hampshire and Pennsylvania have reciprocity for handgun permits. Yes?

5. When I travel in Pennsylvania, may I legally carry a handgun under my New Hampshire non-resident concealed carry permit? I would like to open carry in PA in the woods in Schuyllkill, Northumberland and Columbia Counties, and I need to transport the Ruger Blackhawk, "low capacity six-shooter" in my car. I appreciate you sharing your seasoned knowledge feedback with me on this topic.
    Thank you, Shrubdog.
    Hello from a native Vermonter!!! Born and raised up there, and you are definitely in the land of freedom, Subarus, and fine maple syrup.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Dauphin County)

Pennsylvania honors non-resident permits from states we have reciprocity with. That will cover you for carrying in any manner you wish to in PA. That said, you would be ok to open carry even if PA did not honor the NH non-resident permit, as no license or permit is required to open carry in Pa, except in cities of the first class (only Philadelphia).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Pennsylvania honors non-resident permits from states we have reciprocity with. That will cover you for carrying in any manner you wish to in PA. That said, you would be ok to open carry even if PA did not honor the NH non-resident permit, as no license or permit is required to open carry in Pa, except in cities of the first class (only Philadelphia).
    He still needs the out of State permit to drive around the state unless he can walk everywhere he wants to open carry.

(Jefferson County)

The only place "reciprocity" has any bearing on open carry is in Philly. To transport a "firearm" in a vehicle in PA you need a permit from ANY state. Outside of a vehicle, and outside of Philly, no permit is needed to OC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

And Pennsylvania does not honor non-resident permits from all states they have reciprocity with. Most, but it seems there are some conditions. Florida non-resident is not honored in PA. I also read something here about Maine recently but I forget.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    To transport a "firearm" in a vehicle in PA you need a permit from ANY state. Outside of a vehicle, and outside of Philly, no permit is needed to OC.
    Emphasis added on "transport." You can't OC in PA unless you drive directly to and from a range (or other excepted place) from Vermont or you walk to and from PA from Vermont and spend all your time walking in PA. You can't drive around with a handgun in your trunk in PA without at least a permit from any state.

So, a permit is damn well needed to OC in 99.9% of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    And Pennsylvania does not honor non-resident permits from all states they have reciprocity with. Most, but it seems there are some conditions. Florida non-resident is not honored in PA. I also read something here about Maine recently but I forget.
    Maine too?!?
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Dauphin County)

There is a recent thread on here with a video showing a man questioning AG Kane, and she indicates they are looking at Pa's reciprocity agreements with them to determine if modifications like what happened with FL are "necessary".

Emphasis added on "transport." You can't OC in PA unless you drive directly to and from a range (or other excepted place) from Vermont or you walk to and from PA from Vermont and spend all your time walking in PA. You can't drive around with a handgun in your trunk in PA without at least a permit from any state.

So, a permit is damn well needed to OC in 99.9% of circumstances.
    That's why I mentioned reciprocity, too. How many LEOs would be familiar with non PA residents open carrying and carrying a firearm in their vehicle without a license. Recipe for trouble, I'm thinking. Anyone wanna come back from Vermont in a few months to stand in front of a judge to sort it out. Didn't think so.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Jefferson County)

It doesn't matter what Kane does about reciprocal agreements when it comes to vehicle transporting. State law says that a permit from ANY other state is valid within a vehicle. Since the OP has a NH permit, it is valid in a vehicle in PA even if Kane completely voids the NH agreement. Out of the vehicle he can OC, like he had planned even if Kane voids the NH+PA agreement completely.

And I seriously doubt the line item text she has changed with the FL has any authority under law. The law determines what is prosecutable.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast