Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Delayed for purchase?

A co-worker of mine informed me that he was recently delayed a purchase of a shotgun from Dick's SG. Of course this got my curiosity. As I understood it, if you weren't approved on the spot, then you're denied. If denied, aren't you entitled to an appeal form of some sort? Today he called the SP and local sheriffs office. The SP had nothing to say but reffered him to the sheriff, who said they can delay his purchase for up to two weeks. Does any of this sound right to you? He got no appeal form, and I suppose is just waiting to hear back from the store.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by starblazer
    A co-worker of mine informed me that he was recently delayed a purchase of a shotgun from Dick's SG.
    i didn't know they even did bg checks for long guns -- don't you just show i.d.?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by starblazer
    A co-worker of mine informed me that he was recently delayed a purchase of a shotgun from Dick's SG. Of course this got my curiosity. As I understood it, if you weren't approved on the spot, then you're denied. If denied, aren't you entitled to an appeal form of some sort? Today he called the SP and local sheriffs office. The SP had nothing to say but reffered him to the sheriff, who said they can delay his purchase for up to two weeks. Does any of this sound right to you? He got no appeal form, and I suppose is just waiting to hear back from the store.
    My understanding is that there are 3 possible responses from the background checks
    1) Approved
    2) Denied
    3) Neither, we need more time.

Option 3 usually happens if they can't identify who you are right away, for example if there are two people with the same name one of which is a convicted felon. I think what happens there is that they go in and do a more detailed search and respond once they've made sure everything is correct.

If someone knows more information about this in detail please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp
    My understanding is that there are 3 possible responses from the background checks
    1) Approved
    2) Denied
    3) Neither, we need more time.

Option 3 usually happens if they can't identify who you are right away, for example if there are two people with the same name one of which is a convicted felon. I think what happens there is that they go in and do a more detailed search and respond once they've made sure everything is correct.

If someone knows more information about this in detail please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
    That was the way Ive always understood it. I ran into a similar situation when I was in refusal mode to give my social security number when they run the nics checks. after i started giving the SSN I havent been delayed yet. hmmmmmmm and that number "isnt supposed to be a form of ID"
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

(Bucks County)

Yeah, I've also seen lots of # 3. Usually no big deal

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Forced Outage
    That was the way Ive always understood it. I ran into a similar situation when I was in refusal mode to give my social security number when they run the nics checks. after i started giving the SSN I havent been delayed yet. hmmmmmmm and that number "isnt supposed to be a form of ID"
    Well, that's why on the form it says "This field is optional but helps in identifying you", most of the delays I've seen come from people who don't give their SSN.

(Bucks County)

Thanks, I'll be sure to ask him on Monday if he refused that bit of information. Knowing what I do of him, it is possible that he would have left that field blank.

(Pike County)

Hello again. As I mentioned earlier when I registered, I just received my class 1 FFL. Haven't done anything with it yet because I also just found out I had a pretty bad heart attack some time ago without knowing it. Had to have a defrib/pacemaker put in. So between that and the meds I've been feeling like real crap. Anyhow, from the little I've read, There can be an approval, denial, or delayed response from PICS. Though the SS # is not required by the Feds, it IS required by the state of PA. Your friend would only be entitled to a challenge form if he received a "denial"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check this out above from BankerA,

Judge rejects Pa. gun-buying terms

No Social Security Number Required:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13977647.htm
    "All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation." John Adams
    l"
    Last edited by Blazer; March 28th, 2006 at 01:26 PM.

(Berks County)

This has just happened to me.

I was arrested a year ago when some homeless idiot threatened me with a knife and I threatened to shoot him. He called the cops before I did and to make a long story short, I was arrested, charged with a bunch of misdeamnors, and one felony (not having a carry permit, even though I DID have one!) and had the Philly cops seize my guns from house. Although the charges were dismissed in court in January, the Philly cops still have my guns (in violation of PA law, but the cops don't have to bother obeying the law, y'know...).

Anyway, I went to Classic Pistol on Sunday with a bunch of my pals from another gun forum, and saw a customized Browning HiPower that I liked... thinking that since I have no convinctions and that my charges were dismissed, I decided to buy it... unfortunately PICs put me down as "delayed" and it's been "delayed" since Sunday...

The law says they have 10 days to sort these things through (I don't have the law in front of me now, but I'll quote from it tomorrow), but it's still pissing me off.

-Tom
    "For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

(Bucks County)

Well, my coworker got called the other day and was able to go pick up his new shotgun. Of course, no explanation was given for the delay... That hardly seems fair, but definately on par. Thanks to all of you who offered input on this issue.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast