Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bore Snakes

(Berks County)

Default Bore Snakes

Okay, newbie here as many new. I am trying the Frog Lube route, regardless, I bought two bore snakes (9mm, 22LR). I am wondering how they fit in my maintenance routine? After shooting at the range and before I get a chance to do a good wipe down and clean? During my cleaning? Do I apply Frog Lube to it as part of cleaning? How does one clean a bore snake?

Just curious.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bore Snakes

I use my bore snakes as a replacement for a cleaning rod for the bore. I use Break Free on the bore while dirty, run the broe snake through and presto!

I have never cleaned a boresnake, I threw one out when it was frayed terribly. The big advantage to a bore snake is that it does not run the risk of dinging up the crown of the muzzle, which can happen in rifles. I am a proponent of bore snakes, they smiplify cleaning the bore and prevent damage.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

I love bore snakes. Saves time and prevents accidental damage as the previous poster noted. Some people have had them break causing them to get stuck in the bore, so do be careful and don't buy the cheap chinese knock-offs. Yes, I'm sure this happens to the Hoppes snakes as well, but I have no problem spending an extra 2 dollars for a known brand.

As far as cleaning them goes, I put mine in an empty water bottle along with some Tide or dish soap, fill it half way or so, and shake that thang. Then, let it sit for a few hours to let most of the dirt settle. Then, pull it (or them if you wash a couple) out with a hook tool of some type so you don't disturb the dirty water too much. After it's out, thoroughly rinse it or them, then hang dry. Done!
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

I clean mine with dish soap. Rinse by wetting a few time and running it through squeezed together fingers. Works great. Don't forget to let a little pressure off when the brass gets to your fingers. For rifles they are great. Kinda pointless on a handgun, IMO, but usable, none the less.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

As far as cleaning goes: As per the instructions that came with my Bore Snakes, it said to place them in an old sock ans throw them in the washing machine. I've tried it several times and it works well for me.

Smit

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I clean mine with dish soap. Rinse by wetting a few time and running it through squeezed together fingers. Works great. Don't forget to let a little pressure off when the brass gets to your fingers. For rifles they are great. Kinda pointless on a handgun, IMO, but usable, none the less.
    I have three bore snakes, one for each gun. The handgun bore snakes are much shorter than the rifle ones and I think still make a ton of sense, for the same reason that they do for rifles.

I also haven't cleaned any of mine yet...none of them seems dirty at all.

I do tend to put a few drops of CLP on the forward-most part of the snake (where the black string meets the patterned, thicker part), on the brushes, and just at the end. I figure this would help coat the barrel while I run it through a couple of times to help clean it up nicely. All three of my barrels look brand spankin' new right now.

Also, on them potentially breaking...I don't have a barrel longer than 20", but I feel like if at any point it breaks, there's more than enough sticking out the other end that it could just be pulled right back out.

Quote Originally Posted by 41800216 View Post
    I have three bore snakes, one for each gun. The handgun bore snakes are much shorter than the rifle ones and I think still make a ton of sense, for the same reason that they do for rifles.
    Here's how much I know about cleaning guns the gun way...I didn't even know they made them for handguns. I only have two of them. One fits a .22 cal and the other a 30 cal. Probably get a .33 cal soon as I shoot it enough. I saw they got cables to pull your brushes and what not through your bores, but I made some of them years ago.
    Last edited by harold63; March 5th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

10-4
    I use the snake bore with a couple of drops of clp.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Were you wearing 5.11 pants?I make you guys all the time.

(Lancaster County)

boresnakes are garbage, if you actually want your gun to get clean use a rod and jag

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    boresnakes are garbage, if you actually want your gun to get clean use a rod and jag
    Eloquently said.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast