Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Webley revolvers

Does anybody know anything about Webley break top revolvers? Specifically, If I wanted one, and intended to use/shoot it (I can't own a safe queen) my understanding is the main choices are .455 Webley, .38 SW, and .45 ACP conversions. Obviously .45 ACP is easier to find ammo wise, but not authentic. What kind of "stoppers" are .455 Webley and/or .38 SW? Do the guns "loosen up" over time and become dangerous to shoot? Do you need moon clips? Are they collectable enough that I should avoid refinishing a beater?
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Webley revolvers

I have a Webley MK VI in .455. I've never fired it because ammo is very pricey. Many 'experts' feel that the MK VI was one of the finest combat revolvers that ever saw service. .455 is quite a man-stopper. I paid $320 for my nice unconverted example last year, and I think you may find a .45ACP for about the same money. A .45ACP conversion would new full or half moon clips to eject the spent casings or use .45 Autorim.

I also have a Enfield No2 MkI revolver in 38S&W or as the English say '.380/200'. The revolver was originaly loaded with a 200 grain hollow base, hollow point wad cutter that inflicted horrible wounds but was against international treaty, so by WW2 they were loading the rounds with full metal jackets with poor results. .38S&W is also harder and my expensive to shoot unless to handload. I see Enfield revolvers both the No2 MKI and the DAO
    'Tanker's' model for around $300 at gunshops.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

(Dauphin County)

Do you guys have any information on how exactly to tell if the .45 acp conversion has been done? I recently inherited one of these guns from my grandfather and would really like to get things going with it.

The gun doesn't have any 1/2 moon clips with it but I have also read that if there are no markings on the back of the cylinder it's likely been ground to accept .45 also the serial number on the cylinder is a bit "short" like a little bit is missing.

Ideally pictures of a non-modified .455 compared to a modified .45 gun would be somewhere online.. if there are I sure haven't found any.

Also in case this is not a converted gun any info on where to find the .455 ammo?

The .45ACP conversion shaved the rear of the cylinder off, to provide clearance for the moon clips. Alot of folks don't like the idea of firing 45ACP in these conversions, even the Mk VI, as they figure the 45ACP is a hotter round.

Fiocchi makes the .455 Webley.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb...5&kwtid=211932

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...g=653***691***
    Last edited by Story; January 11th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I enjoy the heck out of my Webley MK VI in .455 but yes the ammo is a bit pricey. This is one of those calibers that I would pick up reloading tools for. Loads of fun and the round is not very high velocity so the pistol just goes 'whoomp' and pushes back - not punishing at all.

Great fun.

Talking Re: Webley revolvers

The .38 cal Webley is fun to shoot but rather under-powered as it uses the old S&W .38 cal round.

.455 Webley revolvers are wonderful to shoot. I've been a collector for over 30 years. For years I've cursed the fools who 'cut' the cylinders to fire .45 acp. As a gunsmith I've wanted for years to correct the damage and I've finally done something about it. Sitting down with Ian Skennerton's books on Webleys, I drew out plans with dimensions and went to a local precision machine shop. They made me precise, laser cut steel spacers which I sweat solder to the rear of the cylinder and ejector returning them to the correct length to fire the .455 or .450 Webley cartridge. I've repaired several of my own and more for customers. If interested contact me off list. My website is: www.truittandson.com email: oren@truittandson.com

I also make reproduction lanyard rings. If there is enough interest I will be making reproduction lanyard studs.

Oren Truitt

I have a bud who has a .455 Webley Mk IV in excellent condition. He shoots it with about 225 gr, .45cal flat point lead bullets over about up to 5 gr Unique using .45 Auto-rim cases. I've shot it and the darn thing is accurate and fun to shoot as well. I'd buy it from him if I needed another caliber.

The auto-rim cases let the round headspace on the little rim at the rear of the case, like a .44 or .357 does so he doesn't need moon clips.

I wonder if you could shoot modern .45 ACP std ball in the thing..sure would make it cheaper to shoot! Or maybe even modern .45Auto-rim ammo???

Anyone know??

(Montgomery County)

I just replied i the pistol section on a similar topic, so can see the story there. To work out if cut, the numbers on the bottom edge of the cylinder should have around a mm of cylinder showing below the number. If the number appears to be "almost there" it has been cut. Or equally, if you can put a nickel between the cylinder and the back plate, it has been cut.

There is a post above this one referring to a spacer silver soldered onto a cut Webley. I would suggest Googling the poster and the topic. I shall say no more other than to read very carefully what you find in searching as the story will go back about 5 years. Dave_n

(Mercer County)

One pistol that has eluded me for many years is the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver, I have a space for his jewel in collection.

I would like to find a .455 caliber but with failing in finding one for the right price.

I would now consider the .38 caliber, or both the .38 & .455.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Montgomery County)

Could not agree more on the W-F automatic revolver. However, this one and my other "grail guns" the original SIG 210 and a Luger Carbine will just have to wait until I win the lottery, or sell all of my guns and end up with just three. Dave_n