Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default New reply from Rep. Matt Cartwright PA

Matt Cartwright
    17th District, Pennsylvania

March 4, 2013

Dear Mr.

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns regarding the safety of school children. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and I'm glad to have the opportunity to respond.

On January 3, 2013, Representative Sheila Jackson Lee introduced the Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013. The legislation would raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and prohibits persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions. The bill would also increase penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence. The bill would further require that a child attending a gun show must be accompanied by an adult.

In the same month that Rep. Jackson Lee introduced this bill, Representative Steve Stockman introduced the Safe Schools Act of 2013. This legislation, also referred to as H.R. 35, would repeal provisions of the criminal code that make it unlawful to discharge or possess a firearm in a school zone.

As a member of the Gun Violence Task Force I am looking at a variety of solutions to the epidemic of gun violence. As both the House and the Senate consider a myriad of proposals I believe it is important to examine each piece of legislation before it comes to a vote. I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we continue this debate.

If you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please sign-up up for my e-newsletter or visit my website. Thank you again for reaching out, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or comments.
    Sincerely,

Matt Cartwright
    Member of Congress

MC/SB
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New reply from Rep. Matt Cartwright PA

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Matt Cartwright
    17th District, Pennsylvania

March 4, 2013

Dear Mr.

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns regarding the safety of school children. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and I'm glad to have the opportunity to respond.

On January 3, 2013, Representative Sheila Jackson Lee introduced the Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013. The legislation would raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and prohibits persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions. The bill would also increase penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence. The bill would further require that a child attending a gun show must be accompanied by an adult.

In the same month that Rep. Jackson Lee introduced this bill, Representative Steve Stockman introduced the Safe Schools Act of 2013. This legislation, also referred to as H.R. 35, would repeal provisions of the criminal code that make it unlawful to discharge or possess a firearm in a school zone.

As a member of the Gun Violence Task Force I am looking at a variety of solutions to the epidemic of gun violence. As both the House and the Senate consider a myriad of proposals I believe it is important to examine each piece of legislation before it comes to a vote. I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we continue this debate.

If you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please sign-up up for my e-newsletter or visit my website. Thank you again for reaching out, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or comments.
    Sincerely,

Matt Cartwright
    Member of Congress

MC/SB
    Uh, you can send young men less than 21 years-old off to fight and die in foreign wars using automatic rifles and semiauto pistols, but refuse them the right to possess and carry a pistol or semiauto rifle at home?

(Northampton County)

yeah isnt that something.... guess its like booze that couple years makes you more of a "man" i guess.... utter nonsense.. what if your 18-19 and have stuff before this would take effect? so many nonsense laws to trip up the otherwise law o biding people. I think they do this to purposely get people.

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Uh, you can send young men less than 21 years-old off to fight and die in foreign wars using automatic rifles and semiauto pistols, but refuse them the right to possess and carry a pistol or semiauto rifle at home?
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Bucks County)

"...The legislation would raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21"

Yeah, that'll stop'em?! My goodness, where does this madness end? Why not change the age to 87? That will stop the grown up criminals from buying guns. MORONS!!!

Can we find a peaceful way to permanently shut these people up? Maybe distracting them with twinkies? Ho Ho's?

"Cartwright? Cartwright? Your table is ready...is Cartwright here"?

(Sorry, could not resist quoting a line from Seinfeld).
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I am looking at a variety of solutions to the epidemic of gun violence
    What... WHAT???? Did the dear member of gun violence task force get the memo from the FBI, that murder rates were on steady decline since 1993 and last year (2012) had the lowest number of murders per capita since 1965?

How about doing some homework, dear member of the gun violence task force?
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    What... WHAT???? Did the dear member of gun violence task force get the memo from the FBI, that murder rates were on steady decline since 1993 and last year (2012) had the lowest number of murders per capita since 1965?

How about doing some homework, dear member of the gun violence task force?
    That's great information I'd like to use when debating....do you you have a link?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    That's great information I'd like to use when debating....do you you have a link?
    Start looking here:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Specifically here:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-1