Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Springfield Armory XD 40 Subcompact Review

XD pistols are somewhat controversial in the gun community; some love them while others feel they're not quite up to par with the other polymer wonders on the market today. I'll try to take that on one pro and con at a time as well as cover the specifics to the gun that is the subject of the review here, the XD40 ....

Pros:
    -Price. Before the current madness many base model XD pistols could be had for under $400
    -Accurate. I've owned many XD(s) over the years and they're as accurate as any of their competitors in my experience
    -Easy to maintain
    -Easy to field strip
    -Good amount of aftermarket support
    -9+1 or 12+1 capacity
    -Springfield Armory has excellent customer service
    -Melonite finish
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
    -Fully supported feed ramp
    -Loaded chamber indicator for ease of low light chamber checks
    -Has an accessory rail for lights/lasers/combo units
    -Trigger has a positive reset

Cons:
    -Reliability. As stated earlier, I've had several XD(s) and 2 needed to go back to SA for reliability issues. This one has been flawless however and I'm sure many will come along reporting theirs run 100%; I'm just reporting my experience here.
    -Detail stripping is more work than many competitors and relies heavily on roll pins. The striker retainer pin seems to have an unusually high failure rate which will deadline the gun if it fails when you lease want it to.
    -The sights are machine pressed into the slide so if you want to replace them it's harder than most pistols. Do-able for sure but easy it is not.
    -The bore axis is high for a striker fired gun
    -Relatively heavy. The 40 SC comes in at 26oz unloaded vs 20oz for a G27

Here's a video with a little shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, and a discussion of the pros and cons of the pistol.

Default Re: Springfield Armory XD 40 Subcompact Review

Got some cool shots of the bullet fragments hitting the water. As usual, good review.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I may be a novice, and I'll admit that the XD(m) compact was my first purchased handgun, but I absolutely love it. I have over 1,000 rounds thru it and not a single ftf or malfunction. Many of your cons were also addressed with the (m). Take down on it couldn't be easier with the trigger being uninvolved. I find that it shoots low though, although I am working on my trigger pull. Either way, I love it. 3.8" compact version, but still 16+1 in .40. And you cannot beat the case/accessories that come with them. I don't care if you wont use them, no one else offers as nice a "complete package". I got lucky getting it for $600 in Jan 2013 after the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Got some cool shots of the bullet fragments hitting the water. As usual, good review.
    Thank you.

(Dauphin County)

OMG I didn't know you were from Harrisburg! Or even PA. I just watched your videos on the Glock 20c and Gen 4 yesterday. You have reached local celebrity status.

Anyway, my first handgun purchase was a XD9 SC back in 2009. I have never had any issues with it. Granted it has not seen a ton of ammo. I think once spring hits, that will change as I practice more and obtain a ccw permit. I have put it away dirty for many months, maybe a year, and used it again without cleaning it first. This was the first firearm I had ever disassembled and I managed to figure it out with just the manual.

When I purchased it I was a real noob to firearms. I chose it over a Glock 26 mostly because I liked the grip safety feature. Even though I have yet to conceal carry it, I still more secure having it when I do. I guess I have a fear of the trigger of a Glock getting depressed from body movement when it is concealed between clothing and your body.

I would like to get TFOs installed. Anyone have a recommendation on where to go to have it done in the Harrisburg area? A PM would suffice. Not trying to hijack the thread here.

Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.

(Delaware County)

Love your reviews man.

My XDSC40 has been my EDC for over 7 years.

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    OMG I didn't know you were from Harrisburg! Or even PA. I just watched your videos on the Glock 20c and Gen 4 yesterday. You have reached local celebrity status.

Anyway, my first handgun purchase was a XD9 SC back in 2009. I have never had any issues with it. Granted it has not seen a ton of ammo. I think once spring hits, that will change as I practice more and obtain a ccw permit. I have put it away dirty for many months, maybe a year, and used it again without cleaning it first. This was the first firearm I had ever disassembled and I managed to figure it out with just the manual.

When I purchased it I was a real noob to firearms. I chose it over a Glock 26 mostly because I liked the grip safety feature. Even though I have yet to conceal carry it, I still more secure having it when I do. I guess I have a fear of the trigger of a Glock getting depressed from body movement when it is concealed between clothing and your body.

I would like to get TFOs installed. Anyone have a recommendation on where to go to have it done in the Harrisburg area? A PM would suffice. Not trying to hijack the thread here.

Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.
    Not sure where in the Harrisburg area but there's a guy over on XDtalk (it's a sticky there) that does them for about $25---you just have to ship the slide which is relatively cheap.

(Susquehanna County)

My XD subcompact in 9mm was the first handgun I bought 7 years ago (day I turned 21). It has between 80,000 and 100,000 rounds through it if not more.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Roll pin demonstration.

(Dauphin County)

Had truglo's put on my s&w at Staudt's Gun for about $35 they are Linglestown area phone #717-412-4138