Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Input on Specter Gear 2 point Sling or Suggestions OR Similar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Blue Force Gear has these guys which are very useful on many different long guns:

The Vikers slings are really nice but you would be find with Spectre too. I did the same thing you are doing, same sling on everything.

Also check out the "Sheriff of Baghdad" sling. Lots of options with a similar price range:

Wire Loop Applications:

Thanks for the tips/info!

Yes, I've seen the wire loop attachments and they seem ideal for a universal mount.
    I still don't like the idea of a sling attached to the handguard. I'm sure that those who "train" frown upon my next statement, but I haven't found a specific location for which I "must" grip the fore end. Sometimes I move my grip forward and sometimes it's back near the mag well. It's a CARBINE, so there isn't much room there to begin with -no sense interfering with that by putting a sling in the way.

I do like the looks of the "SOB" sling - it's just not as widely compatible with my other long guns as far as I can tell.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Thanks for the tips/info!

Yes, I've seen the wire loop attachments and they seem ideal for a universal mount.
    I still don't like the idea of a sling attached to the handguard. I'm sure that those who "train" frown upon my next statement, but I haven't found a specific location for which I "must" grip the fore end. Sometimes I move my grip forward and sometimes it's back near the mag well. It's a CARBINE, so there isn't much room there to begin with -no sense interfering with that by putting a sling in the way.

I do like the looks of the "SOB" sling - it's just not as widely compatible with my other long guns as far as I can tell.
    Yeah, the sewn in ends are a limiting factor depending on what you are working with.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Input on Specter Gear 2 point Sling OR Suggestions for Similar

I have no experience with the Spectre sling, but I've heard decent things from people I respect.

ARES makes a nice 2 point that comes highly recommended. I really like the VTAC that I have. It's simple and it works very well in it's intended role. And the Magpul MS2 that I'm running on my entry carbine is a nice compromise for someone who wants a single point MOST of the time, but occasionally has need of actually slinging the rifle. I made a front attachment point by looping some 550 cord through the holes in my TRX tube.

Hell, back in 2003 we were "making" two point slings by tying 550 cord around the delta ring on our A2's and making a large loop to attach the GI web sling to. That actually worked rather well come to think of it...

(Allegheny County)

Another sling I've run across is the Boonie Packer/Redi Mag.

It appears of the same design as the others, but at a much lower price point at $20. + $4 for the quick release and I THINK rear attachment.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned all of this, as it's one thing that makes me nervous when I look at these "operator" slings - they look thick, heavy, and stiff.
    While I understand the desire for "quality", I don't necessarily need something that will hold up to daily use in combat.

One of the other "pluses" about the Specter Gear sling is that it APPEARS to be not quite as thick as the VTAC and Vickers. The rear is slightly wider and the front narrower - it appears pretty "flexible".

That Sheriff of Bagdad sling mentioned in the post above also looks thinner and quite "supple" (for lack of a better word) - the drawback, if it is one, is that IT isn't as wide in the rear for comfort over the shoulder.

I'm not a big guy at all and don't see much chance of me wearing a tac vest unless the SHTF and I take one off of a corpse.

I think that when I narrow this down, I'll order ONE and see how I like it before getting them for each long gun.
    No, not the width. The length. Its simply too long and you cannot get enough out to cinch it down as its described. You can't cut it shorter at the back because of the padding to still use the quick adjust. If I sized it, I'd have to cut all the front off and just use the pad. IE: pointless. Remember also, AK's attach with a clip right at the handguard. That clip needs to be oriented correctly. Hook facing gun, webbing flat against gun. Or it twists. I recently tried one that had the hooks flat like the webbing and it sucks. The Boonie packer sling is well designed. Except the webbing is coarse, eats you, and doesn't like to slide at the pull tab. The magpul is soft, but so soft it bunches all the time at the pull adjustment. It's also thin, and has 360° swivels which means its constantly crossed up. I have an IDF sling that is wide like a seat belt, uses clips, and has liners to keep it from rattling, but no adjustment. I like that one best. It always sits right. Its paper thin, and extremely comfortable. It was $8. If it had a pull adjust my universe would explode. That's my holy grail sling.

The higher speed stuff usually brings its own level of BS. That's my warning. I've had a few of these already in 1, 2, and even 3 point and dude... Any input from someone who isn't your body type is irrelevant. Putting your wife in a low drag operator sling, is stupid unless she trains to use it. Kids, no. Just no. Basic 2pt, comfortable. Something you can easily cut to fit. If they are all at your skill level, then they would pick their own sling so this would be irrelevant as well. But you have to get my drift.

Anything you can try before hand will save you $. I've easily spent a couple hundred trying different slings thus far and still am not happy.

(Allegheny County)

While trying to make sense of the Boonie Packer/Redi-Mag 2 point sling descriptions (perhaps the fact that English is NOT the first language of the guy in the video explains the horrible product descriptions?), I ran across their "Safari-Tac" sling. It's a simple 2 point sling that carries a rifle on the chest - muzzle down.

video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1Ptty43GE

I know I mentioned wanting the same sling for every rifle, but this sling may be a nice alternative for my lever gun - the one that HAS swivel studs.
    Their prices aren't bad and the shipping is free.

Hmmmm...

(Philadelphia County)

Blue force is widely regarded as good to go

Check out original SOE gear

I like 2 to single point convertible slings, and really dig savvy sniper slings (for a carbine). For a scatter gun I'm a single point guy, but that's for a fighting gun. If its a hunting blaster that you'll be carrying all day then any affordable sling will work
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

I would say Urban ERT sling is the most modular as I've had that sling on PS90 to FAL.

That being said, my favorite is the Ares Armor Huskey.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt

Specter Gear makes some nice slings as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I would say Urban ERT sling is the most modular as I've had that sling on PS90 to FAL.

That being said, my favorite is the Ares Armor Huskey.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/aahuskey2pt

Specter Gear makes some nice slings as well.

Thanks.
    The Urban ERT site made my head bleed. They seem to have everything one could possibly need and more, but unless you already know what you are looking for, it's just "too much" to figure out.
    I do like their "fuck Obama" stance though.

I ran across the Ares Armor Huskey the other day and it looks nice too.
    There's a shit-ton of slings out there that I never knew about.

(Allegheny County)

I have a spare sling I'm not using right now if you want try one out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast