Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Input on Specter Gear 2 point Sling OR Suggestions for Similar

Just got my specter 2 point in. It's much better on my ak than the magpul ms2 was. Easy of setup took maybe 45 seconds to fit my body size and the quic adjust feature is very intuative to use. I ordered the ak underfolder model even tho I have a standard ak. But I'm running a ar style buttstock with a qd swivel on the stocks side. Very easy and very nice sling use. The stitching and material are great.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Thanks Dave! I'll be glad to give you something for one of those. I'll send you a PM.

After searching and researching, and thinking things over a bit more, I've decided that I'm not as concerned with having the same brand of sling on everything. If I do - great, but if not, no big deal.

I'm going to postpone any sling for the shotgun, as it's a home defense gun first and foremost. I see the sling being more of a hindrance than anything in that role. I may revisit the idea later, but for now, I'm not concerned with the shotgun.

For the lever gun I'm going to try the Boonie Packer Safari Tac.

It should provide all I really need for the rifle for $23 shipped plus $10 for some quick disconnect swivels.

That just leaves the AR15 and two AK47s - one with a fixed stock, and the other an underfolder.

I will either get the Boonie Packer 2 point (3 to choose from), or the Sheriff of Bagdad 2 point.
    The Boonie Packer wins on cost hands down at between $19 and $25 shipped and seems like it would work fine.

(shown above is the "cinchable" Boonie Packer - you can cinch up the rear portion to keep it tighter against you)

The SOB looks nice too. ($40 + S&H)
    The sling material appears thin and flexible with a narrow strap. I know that a wide strap is more comfy over the shoulder, but I don't plan on doing any marches in full gear either.
    The other plus is that it seems to be very "simple" in that there aren't any buckles, or looped over strap material for the back portion which keep the bulk to a minimum and may even allow for it to be cut/shortened if needed.

I'm really drawn to this one actually, and I may even get one of each before equipping any of the others.

Thanks to everyone who has thrown out suggestions and tips thus far.
    I tend to overthink things before making decisions, but all the info was helpful to me.

Lmk what you think. I hate that flat hook tho. It needs to face away from the webbing. Or it doesn't work right on an AK. The front loop is so small on the AK that gets bound in the clasp, and puts an angle to the sling. It's minor I guess, but annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    Just got my specter 2 point in. It's much better on my ak than the magpul ms2 was. Easy of setup took maybe 45 seconds to fit my body size and the quic adjust feature is very intuative to use. I ordered the ak underfolder model even tho I have a standard ak. But I'm running a ar style buttstock with a qd swivel on the stocks side. Very easy and very nice sling use. The stitching and material are great.
    Pix plz.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Lmk what you think. I hate that flat hook tho. It needs to face away from the webbing. Or it doesn't work right on an AK. The front loop is so small on the AK that gets bound in the clasp, and puts an angle to the sling. It's minor I guess, but annoying.

I actually was thinking of getting the SOB for the AR and a Boonie Packer for the AK. At least initially.

I wonder if adding a "ring" (Like a key ring) to the front sling mount would orient the sling the way you say it works best.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Front clip attacked to standard ak point

Sling adjustment is quick and easy to use

Emergency release buckle incase you get tangled up

Rear is just threaded thru a qd sling swivel on the rear stock

Bad picture but the final result, easy to use and comfortable sling for my ak
    Last edited by rovert97; March 14th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Allegheny County)

Well Dave, I tried messing with the sling attachment that mounts to the barrel under the sight, but those roll pins are giving me fits, so I put that on hold until I can grab a punch.

The GG&G mount that goes on the front sight goes on easily enough though.

I tried that Troy sling you let me test out, but it's either way too long for me, or I'm an idiot, or both. At it's shortest adjustment (as far as I can figure) it's longer than need be to shoulder the rifle. I started pulling on the adjustment tab and it nearly went to my knees. lol

Doing this test-fit brought up another "issue" too.
    I have a .22LR upper for this AR15 and if I add a sling, I'm going to HAVE to have a quick disconnect on the front of both uppers because undoing the sling in the front will be a PITA just to swap uppers.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the two slings I mentioned in the post above and go from there.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well Dave, I tried messing with the sling attachment that mounts to the barrel under the sight, but those roll pins are giving me fits, so I put that on hold until I can grab a punch.

The GG&G mount that goes on the front sight goes on easily enough though.

I tried that Troy sling you let me test out, but it's either way too long for me, or I'm an idiot, or both. At it's shortest adjustment (as far as I can figure) it's longer than need be to shoulder the rifle. I started pulling on the adjustment tab and it nearly went to my knees. lol

Doing this test-fit brought up another "issue" too.
    I have a .22LR upper for this AR15 and if I add a sling, I'm going to HAVE to have a quick disconnect on the front of both uppers because undoing the sling in the front will be a PITA just to swap uppers.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the two slings I mentioned in the post above and go from there.
    I probably should have lent you my roll pin punches too.

At least you learned a little about slings.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

I know this thread is old, but there's some good info here from forum members and I thought I'd update this since I forgot all about it and now I have at least four rifles equipped with slings.

I do see that Specter Gear now has a new model ("Raptor" found at company link in OP) and had I known, I may have looked into that one more.
    Oh well.

Here are a few (3) brands that I picked up and some quick thoughts from a non-operator.
    I'll post each one separately below...

(Allegheny County)

First up - on my 9mm AR15 carbine...

Sheriff of Baghdad B-Sling (link)
    Video demo here

I kept looking at this sling because it was supposed to be "simple" and unobtrusive.
    I happened upon some that were limited edition colors and figured what the heck - it may look cool on my grey and black 9mm. I'll give it a try.

Not really impressed.
    I like the way it works - it adjusts quickly and easily, but the material it's made of is cheesy - thin and "hard" for lack of a better word. It would hurt like hell to have the edge rub against bare skin.
    I can't think of a comparable item to compare the nylon material to. I thought maybe it was just the limited edition sling, but I contacted them to ask if all the slings are made of the same material and the answer was "yes". I decided not to get any others.
    The other thing I don't care for is that "flappy" adjustment part in that the slack section of sling sort of slides around making it "sloppy".

To adjust: Pull the tab of excess sling material back to shorten/snug up to your body.
    To release/open up to deploy rifle, grab the black cord and push hand forward. (It deploys really fast/easy)

I'd rate this a 2 out of 5 - it works, and is lightweight and affordable, but it's not my idea of a sling - seems more suited for a toy.
    Good enough for the 9mm until I decide to replace it some day.

(Allegheny County)

Next up - on my 5.56 AR15 pistol...

Frank Proctor sling (link)
    Video demo here
    Very good write up here

I ran across this sling while searching for more options online and saw some favorable reviews.
    Again, I was looking for "simple". I'm not digging the very popular Vickers sling - it's just so big and bulky - I wanted light and compact.

I'm impressed with the quality and the attachment method.
    I like the way it works - it adjusts quickly and easily, using the same "buckle" for both actions - no flappy flaps!
    This sling is also narrow and thin, but the material is considerably thicker than the SOB sling - much better!
    Very flexible right out of the box.

The paracord attachment ends are pretty unique and while not something everyone will embrace, I like the design.
    It eliminates any bulky metal snap hooks or other attachments that can bind or scratch or make noise.
    There are many ways to attach the sling using the paracord loops and for those on a budget, it eliminates the need to buy additional sling mounts in many cases.

To adjust: Grasp the slide/buckle and pull back to shorten/snug up to your body.
    To release/open up to deploy rifle, grasp the slide/buckle and and push hand forward.
    Simple - no need to think about whether to pull a tab, or a buckle or what - for each motion you use the exact same method.

I'd rate this a 4 out of 5

On the front I ran it around the hand guard and through one of the slots in the rail segment where the sight is mounted.
    The closed sight just helps keep it in place. I could just as easily have run it through a slot in the hand guard. This works so far.

Closeup of the way I attached the rear.

(Allegheny County)

Next up - on my 5.56 AR15 carbine (now on my Yugo underfolder AK47 as well)...

Gear Sector GS-2P Quick Adjust Two Point Sling (link)

Very good write up here and here

I also ran across this sling while searching for more options online and saw favorable reviews.
    Again, I wanted light and compact, but for the more serious carbine I wanted something more "heavy duty" as well.
    I think I found a good combination of the two.

I'm very impressed with the quality of teh sling material and the attachment methods.
    I like the way it works - it adjusts quickly and easily, and while this one HAS a flappy flap, it works well and doesn't bother me.
    This sling is also narrow, but the material is "tubular nylon" - essentially double thickness, but "hollow".
    It's SUPER flexible right out of the package! VERY "soft" to the touch and it just "flows". I really like the sling material.

The ends have quick release buckles with the choice of three different attachment ends to choose from.
    It comes standard with common "loop" ends, but you can get H&K Snap hooks or QD ends as well as loop attachment ends for use on an A2 rifle stock.
    One could equip several rifles with the end pieces and then share one sling between them by snapping off and on.

To adjust: Grasp the "flap" and push forward to shorten/snug up to your body.
    To release/open up to deploy rifle, lift the ladder lock/buckle with fingertip and and pull back.
    Not as simple as the Frank Proctor sling, but it works and works well. I think the soft nylon material aids in the ease of operation.

I'd rate this a 4.5 out of 5

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast