Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Militia of The Several States

They fell out of favor after the civil war because the people of several of the several states had just recently made a decision to fight the federal government.

The statist victors of the civil war didn't want the people of several of the several states to be able to do that again.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    They fell out of favor after the civil war because the people of several of the several states had just recently made a decision to fight the federal government.

The statist victors of the civil war didn't want the people of several of the several states to be able to do that again.
    It was the Spanish-American War that sealed the fate of the regular state militia. Teddy Roosevelt had serious reliability problems with the state militias that served abroad during that war. So he and a few others got a bill rolling which became know as one of the Dick Acts. It was the Dick Act of 1903 that structured the National Guard, and made it the basis of the Organized Militia. It then moved the People to the status of Unorganized Militia.

Now, I cannot fault Teddy and the other folks - because the failure was upon the States for improperly training and supplying their respective militias. The States got complacent with the abilities of the standing regular army, and became very lax on mandatory militia musters and supplying.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Unhappy Re: Militia of The Several States

We're pretty much beyond a return to the Constitution. That's not to say I would give up now (that's wrong on principle), but there's no way beyond "reset" that we'll have our country back. Sorry. Even the good guys are bad guys now, even if they don't know it.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Allegheny County)

This page might be worth a look;
    http://operationamputation.com/index.html

No resistance, no rebellion, just a majority of red states refusing to live by the rules of the true constitutional rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    We're pretty much beyond a return to the Constitution. That's not to say I would give up now (that's wrong on principle), but there's no way beyond "reset" that we'll have our country back. Sorry. Even the good guys are bad guys now, even if they don't know it.
    Don't let the yapping liberals in the north east and the hippies on the west coast fool you into thinking they have the majority. All their power is in casting the illusion of power and spreading fear.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    So, you have the same CD? I have to admit, Dr. Vieira's writing style seems to be influenced by the language of the day. Keep the dictionary handy.
    Got the same CD. Yes Mr. Vieire's style is tough to get through. May have to go back and reread the whole thing a second time. An excellent history
    lesson that tells me how far away from our past we are right now.
    I appreciate the input on this topic from our members.

Thanks...Mike

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Mike. us old truck drivers have more common sense than the whole bunch of highly educated ass hats down in DC. Keep reading, old dogs do learn new tricks.
    Thanks for those words of encouragement Qtr. Will keep reading.
    "Highly educated asshats" is accurate. I can come up with a few more.

Mike

(Berks County)

I think Rumsfeld federalized the state militias for The Iraq War. At what point does the Guard return to state control? If we take liberal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, states no longer have a "militia". One of the constants with conservatives and gun owners are their adherence to individualism. It's difficult to get us to cooperate and organized. Many guys that are serious about the govt intrusions are also saying for the most part I'll take care of myself and family.

While I believe it is the primary responsibility of the head of the family to put protection of their love ones first and foremost, they will easily nullify individuals. If there is no coordinated effort to help your neighbor all will lose. Most of the militias that get press time are a bunch of rednecks looking foe their Rambo moment. Not all but some. It needs to be structured just like the military for it to work.

My$.02

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by spratman View Post
    Most of the militias that get press time are a bunch of rednecks looking foe their Rambo moment.
    If we "can't" have automatic firearms, we're not going to "be allowed" to have militias..gimme a break.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Cumberland County)

Mosseater I think the answer you are getting from most of the replies is NO we are not interested in bringing back militia under the states control. Me personally NO, I'm not a tool for the state. They are not sending me to some other country to fight some stupid war they think we should. Why on earth would the local militia ever be fighting in another country? We are here to defend PA, period. Basically what you would accomplish is having a mandatory draft that lasted 30 years, no thanks. It would do nothing to get the constitution back.

(Bucks County)

The Militia is any able bodied male between the ages of 17 and 45 years of age. They can be called by the govenour for the defense of the state or the president in case of insurrection. Look up The Whiskey Rebellion of 1791. Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton are noted frontiersmen and militiamen of their day. We the people are the last line of defence for the country so in a way we are the militia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast