Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Does this bother you?

So many times I see or overhear people getting hunting licenses that never took the hunter safety class. Places like Walmart, dicks, etc. even this passed year while getting my licenses they never asked for anything. What I'm wondering is why does the state make everyone take the class if the rules won't be enforced anyway when buying the license?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Does this bother you?

I'd like to think morals and ethics go hand in hand with hunting.

With some folks that's a joke....
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I'd like to think morals and ethics go hand in hand with hunting.

With some folks that's a joke....
    def. if ya think about the fundamentals of hunting and the childhood lessons some of us learned, def morals and ethics come into play...

(Mercer County)

NOPE

What bothers me is people who claim that a hunters safety course is required for the purchase of a hunting license in the State of PA. Before making such blanket statements you should know the requirements for a hunting license.

People of my age group are grandfathered and not required a hunter safety course.

You also don't need the safety course if you have had a license from another state, I've been hunting since the mid 50s.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Clarion County)

When did the course become mandatory?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Wayne County)

I've never taken a safety coarse for hunting with a rifle but I had to take a coarse for bow because I never had a license for bow hunting. Now this was in New Jersey. There are alot of states and countries that you either show a previous license or a safety coarse after 1975.

I am pretty surethe new system keeps your information. I think I just let them scan the Drivers license or scan the barcode on the old license and your done. the prices for hunting and fishing are what piss me off. Make a yearly combo sportsmans license and cut the price in half.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lackawanna County)

the new system does keep your info. But only from thje last ten years on Is what I was told. I had to get a new hunters safety card to get a new license since I hadnt hunted for over ten years. My walmart will ask you for your card if you are not in the system.

(Lawrence County)

I'm with mountainorackle. My Dad taught my brothers and I about guns and hunting in the fifties and sixties. My Dad only had one gun his whole life, a 16 g. Mossberg. We never touched a gun when he wasn't there with us in our younger days, it's called respect, something that seems to be missing in training and parenting nowadays. We went in the woods with him for yrs. before we carried a gun. My daughter and son were taught the same way. But the law is the law and if you never had the opportunity of that experience then I guess the best way is to take the training.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    So many times I see or overhear people getting hunting licenses that never took the hunter safety class. Places like Walmart, dicks, etc. even this passed year while getting my licenses they never asked for anything. What I'm wondering is why does the state make everyone take the class if the rules won't be enforced anyway when buying the license?
    To be honest, I took the hunter safety course more so to use the certificate to get a Florida Concealed Carry license than to actually hunt, but after I took the course I got real interesting in hunting.

I understand those who were hunting all their lives and were grandfathered in complaining about the need of a course. However, I have met some people who didn't grow up hunting and guns, and are now in their 20's and 30's and think I was silly to go thru the time and expense of the hunter safety course. Some of those Fuds from Philly are downright dangerous to hunt with.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast