Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on FNX-9

(Allegheny County)

Default Info on FNX-9

I will be turning 21 in June and have been looking at pistols to purchase. I really liked the feel of a FNH (can't remember which model I held) but I was looking at the FNX 9. Does anyone have any experience with one or an opinion?

Default Re: Info on FNX-9

Quote Originally Posted by rjw2036 View Post
    FNX 9. Does anyone have an opinion?
    It's a cool gun with just about every bell and whistle you can get on a handgun. It's superbly thought out with a DA/SA, creep free trigger (this I know from shooting one), and though one review I read on it claims 12lbs on the DA, it doesn't feel like 12lbs. The one I shot felt more like 8 to 9 lbs, but still, very smooth with no stacking, what so ever. Ambidextrous decocker, safety, and mag release. It can be carried in condition one just like a 1911, as well. The one I shot had the flat backstrap on it which I personally prefer for a better natural point. I did not get to feel any of the other back straps. I don't know what else you could want on a handgun other than maybe an actual bell or whistle. Price is tolerable. JMHO

edit: if you decide to get one, hope you can find some ammo.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Smile Re: Info on FNX-9

I own a FNP 9M and a FNP 9 I love each the same but I carry the 9m because
    it s the compact. You can t go wrong with the FN brand it will eat anything you feed it.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: Info on FNX-9

Hey RJW,

I actually have that exact same gun the FNX-9 on order at my LGS as we speak. I have read nothing but great things about this pistol and it's accuracy. A lot of stuff I read online basically states these are on par with HK which cost several hundred dollars more. It seems like these pistols are "hidden gems" maybe it's just because FN doesn't spend a ton of money on advertising that many people don't know about these pistols, but the fact that i know a Glock guy for life that purchased one of these and is now currently selling his Glock's to acquire more FN pistols says something about these pistols. I cannot wait to get mine and try it out. Seems to me like the only negative thing about them is that extra mags are really hard to come by and expensive when you do find them. I honestly believe though that this is temporary, plus the pistol comes from the factory with 3 mags. I think you are making a great choice on your purchase. Keep us posted

(Columbia County)

I have an FNX-9 that i bought new, and with a few 100 rounds through it, i had trouble with Remington ammo. The first box of ammo i put through it was a 100round Winchester white box, which every one fired well. With the remingtons, it seemed like every 4th or 5th one didnt feed, and sometimes when one would fire, it would feel weak. I fired some of the remingtons out of my friends beretta, and there didnt seem to be any problems.

I read that some FNX owners had the same issue, and locked the slide back for a week to loosen it up, which I did. I also heard a bunch of other people had problems with the remington 9mm, that it seemed it weak compared to other brands. The remington might be ok now, now that the gun is more broken in, but i've mainly stuck with winchester, american eagle or federal, which ive had ZERO problems with. Otherwise it's an excellent gun. You'll like the huge dot for the front sight.

(Luzerne County)

I also forgot to mention that the first time i held an FNX-9 that it felt amazing in my hand, its hard to explain but it seemed like the pistol was custom molded to my hand or something I'm sure everyone will have an opinion on what gun feels the best in "their hands" but for me this thing was amazing, so i ordered one right then. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by viper20 View Post
    Hey RJW,

on par with HK which cost several hundred dollars more.
    The one I shot had a smoother trigger pull than my USP does, and the USP is freaky smooth. It honestly felt like it was on bearings or a pulley.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you everyone! I think I may be leaning towards this one for sure but we'll see! My Dad got me a Ruger SR9c for Christmas that I LOVE and liked the feel of the FNX. Keep the reviews coming, I really do appreciate the information. I have a little while to save up some more cash and to make a decision but it's one that I cannot wait for! I'm more excited to purchase a pistol than to drink!

(Philadelphia County)

I have one for about two months now. Solid pistol for sure. I do like the craftmenship, everything fits nicely such as no gap from the slide to the frame.

Replacement and upgraded parts are almost non existant. I see this as a downside but then again, they come with three mags so it could be worse.

Overall size is good as well, shorter frame conceals nicley if you go that path.
    "No, I am not a great shot, but I shoot often" - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by zx6rbilly View Post
    i had trouble with Remington ammo.

it would feel weak.

The remington might be ok now, now that the gun is more broken in,
    This ammo is better suited for a slingshot. If it will cycle your gun, reliably, you probably need a new recoil spring. FWIW, cycling the slide will break it in faster than locking the slide back and letting it sit. If it won't run your gun after 500 cycles, give it to someone who needs a new recoil spring so they can get the last of the goodie out of it. Remington has had two recalls on their ammo of late (.338 Lapua and .38/357).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast