Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Remington 870 Shell Holder

I am looking for a shell holder to put on the stock of my Remington 870. I have not done much research yet but would like to get a general consensus and idea on what would best fit what I am looking for. Thank you!

Default Re: Remington 870 Shell Holder

I need one too...Sub'd

(Bucks County)

If you go with a slip-on shell holder make sure it has a strap that wraps around the recoil pad on the buttstock. I have one that doesn't and between the elastic and the taper of the stock it tends to slip forward on the stock when shooting or moving around.

(Beaver County)

I use Esstac shotshell cards on my 930. There are a lot of reasons I like them so much better than the slip on sleeve shell holders. First of all, they attach with velcro and can be torn off and replaced with live rounds once you use them all up. Secondly, they don't affect the feel of the stock. I hate the sleeves because they feel like crap on my cheek side and they never stay in place. Probably most importantly is that the loops that held the shells are stronger and shorter. Not only do they hold the shells in place but it's easier to get to them because the loops are 1 1/2 inches long instead of 2 inches on the sleeves. Most 2 3/4 inch shells are only 2 1/4 inches long before they're fired. Do you really want to only have 1/4 of an inch to try and grab a shell and reload under stress? They've held up really well in live fire drills in my experience too so it's not just a gimmick, these actually work. There are a few others like this too. SOE Gear, 3 Gun Gear come to mind. Check them out.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I use Esstac shotshell cards on my 930. There are a lot of reasons I like them so much better than the slip on sleeve shell holders. First of all, they attach with velcro and can be torn off and replaced with live rounds once you use them all up. Secondly, they don't affect the feel of the stock. I hate the sleeves because they feel like crap on my cheek side and they never stay in place. Probably most importantly is that the loops that held the shells are stronger and shorter. Not only do they hold the shells in place but it's easier to get to them because the loops are 1 1/2 inches long instead of 2 inches on the sleeves. Most 2 3/4 inch shells are only 2 1/4 inches long before they're fired. Do you really want to only have 1/4 of an inch to try and grab a shell and reload under stress? They've held up really well in live fire drills in my experience too so it's not just a gimmick, these actually work. There are a few others like this too. SOE Gear, 3 Gun Gear come to mind. Check them out.
    I think i'll get myself one of these. And the price is right for sure. I probably will only get one since I have 15 shells on my sling. I do have one concern though. In case of a remington 870 where the receivers are steel is there the possibility of trapped moisture causing rust ?

(Allegheny County)

Some people like the shell holder on the stock, I'm not very fonfd of it. I prefer a shell carrier on the receiver.

http://www.policestore.com/firearm-a...164-49127.aspx

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drgiggles1 View Post
    I think i'll get myself one of these. And the price is right for sure. I probably will only get one since I have 15 shells on my sling. I do have one concern though. In case of a remington 870 where the receivers are steel is there the possibility of trapped moisture causing rust ?
    For the velcro to adhere properly, you have to remove any moisture under it. We've talked about this a lot on the shotgunworld forum and no one has ever seen any rust. I had a piece of velcro on both my 930 and 870 for a couple months and when I took it off, the finish was fine. No rust but it was a HUGE pain in the dick to get off considering it was basically glued on the gun. If you put it on your receiver, remember to punch some holes for your trigger pins.

(Beaver County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    For the velcro to adhere properly, you have to remove any moisture under it. We've talked about this a lot on the shotgunworld forum and no one has ever seen any rust. I had a piece of velcro on both my 930 and 870 for a couple months and when I took it off, the finish was fine. No rust but it was a HUGE pain in the dick to get off considering it was basically glued on the gun. If you put it on your receiver, remember to punch some holes for your trigger pins.
    Using the velcro looks like you could also attach those cards to a vest or plate carrier.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

I would go 6rd mesa tactical shell holder for the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast