Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in Georgia?

(Lehigh County)

Default OC in Georgia?

Im going on a boar hunt in 2 weeks and would like to bring my 1911 as a side arm. I read the reciprocity regs for PA permits but the document was written up in 2002. Just seeing if anyone knows if anything has changed regarding this since the political climate is heating up. Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: OC in Georgia?

You need a GA permit or a reciprocal permit(you PA LTCF will work) to openly carry in GA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

I have it. Thank you sir.

Where are you going Hog hunting? Understand that OC is legal in Georgia but it's not something practiced heavily and with that understanding, be forewarned, the legal system in GA is not PA. The sheriff is the "LAW" and you are a YANKEE bringing your YANKEE RIGHTS with you etc...

My recommendation is walk quietly and carry a big stick no one knows about. Do not open carry. Again, it's legal and all that but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

I would go hunting, get a feel for the local culture, talk to people, reach out to the Sheriff and ask etc...perhaps even get a letter from the Sheriff where you will be spending most of you time.

You may not carry concealed or OC on any government owned property! This includes Rest stops.

CL

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Where are you going Hog hunting? Understand that OC is legal in Georgia but it's not something practiced heavily and with that understanding, be forewarned, the legal system in GA is not PA. The sheriff is the "LAW" and you are a YANKEE bringing your YANKEE RIGHTS with you etc...

My recommendation is walk quietly and carry a big stick no one knows about. Do not open carry. Again, it's legal and all that but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

I would go hunting, get a feel for the local culture, talk to people, reach out to the Sheriff and ask etc...perhaps even get a letter from the Sheriff where you will be spending most of you time.

You may not carry concealed or OC on any government owned property! This includes Rest stops.

CL

lot of old and incorrect info in this post... you can OC it is practiced regularly i have even OC'd in metro Atlanta... rest stops are 100% legal to carry into. Government buildings are places that house government entities last time i checked there werent any employees in the john...and government property isnt off limits only the buildings(not counting prison guard lines etc)

http://georgiapacking.org/law.php i recommend you check out this site

OP are you in the military by chance?? if so you can carry into any of the off limits places just like a cop see OCGA 16-11-130

as for contacting the sheriff i dont call and ask permission to exercise civil rights so....

(Lehigh County)

I m not planning on carrying anywhere outside of my hunt which is on a ranch type place. I have never been there before. I probably won't be going anywhere near government property or anything like that.

what part of Georgia are you planning on going to?

(Philadelphia County)

Don't forget about Federal GFSZ. Not sure exactly where you will be, but within 1000' of any K-12 school, you'll need a license/permit issued by the state where the school is located.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

more info on the Military exemption in case anyone is wanting to know more

the military exemption applies to anyone in the US Military or State like the National Guard, Georgia State Defense force..this AG opinion only asks about full time but the law makes no differentiation. Else LEO's wouldnt be exempt when off duty.

http://georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u97-13.htm

Under Georgia law, active duty military personnel are exempted from the requirement of a firearms permit. The exemption is not limited to the performance of military duty. These personnel may, upon request, obtain a firearms permit if otherwise qualified. Their dependents may be issued a permit if otherwise qualified only upon establishing residency in this state. Law enforcement officers are also exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit.....

(Cambria County)

OCed a few places in GA last week when visiting the in-laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast