Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default So I'm torn on what I should get next...

I'm just a hobbyist shooter that likes to go the range and have a little fun. I don't hunt but I do carry for self defense and I already have a LTCF and a carry pistol.

I do however want to get into hunting sometime in the future. For this I was thinking of saving up money for a decent starter rifle such as a Remington 700. I already have a Ruger 10/22 which you can't hunt with in PA unfortunately, but is great to take out and just shoot at targets all day.

With this in mind though I also am interested in getting a .22 LR handgun since while I enjoy shooting my carry pistol. I have a whole lot of .22 LR which is considerably cheaper, and more easily obtainable in bulk compared to 9mm. I also kind of want one just for marksmanship practice. While its not a 9mm, lots of shooting is much better than infrequent shooting and allows me to perfect the basic fundamentals.

I was thinking of an M&P22 or a Ruger SR22 just for ease of use and similarities to centerfired pistols. I also like the possibility of more of an marksmanship pistol such as a Ruger Mark II or III. So many choices! Not sure what to decide on first. I'd also likely be using these 22 pistols to introduce to friends and family over my 9mm.

So what should I get next? Rifle or handgun?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: So I'm torn on what I should get next...

There already is a similar thread already going on elsewhere on the forum, use the search function.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You'll probably get more mileage out of a handgun. Do you have a 9mm that has an available .22lr conversion kit? That would be one option. My favorite handgun right now is my Sig P229, since I can shoot as much .22 as I want, and then shoot some 9mm at the end of that practice session. Same grip, trigger, and sight picture, just swap the slide & barrel. I'm actually shooting more than before the panic began, but spending less money. A friend of mine just bought a Glock .22 conversion kit for the same reason.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    You'll probably get more mileage out of a handgun. Do you have a 9mm that has an available .22lr conversion kit? That would be one option. My favorite handgun right now is my Sig P229, since I can shoot as much .22 as I want, and then shoot some 9mm at the end of that practice session. Same grip, trigger, and sight picture, just swap the slide & barrel. I'm actually shooting more than before the panic began, but spending less money. A friend of mine just bought a Glock .22 conversion kit for the same reason.
    I have a Ruger SR9c. I haven't heard of any .22 conversion kits for it. I'll google it to find out though.

(Schuylkill County)

Just my .02, if you want to hunt this year, you may want to find the rifle you would like to hunt with and try going with that. Thankfully, hunting rifles are fairly available right now and selections are there. Optics are another concern on a hunting rifle. Then there's the fair amount of range time to get comfortable enough to shoot at distance. Hunting fields presents 400 to 500plus yard shots real quick and you want to have experience shooting at those distances. All the calibers out there, you'll have to choose which one is right for you. You already seem to shoot pretty much so you know the time invested in getting zeroed.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    Just my .02, if you want to hunt this year, you may want to find the rifle you would like to hunt with and try going with that. Thankfully, hunting rifles are fairly available right now and selections are there. Optics are another concern on a hunting rifle. Then there's the fair amount of range time to get comfortable enough to shoot at distance. Hunting fields presents 400 to 500plus yard shots real quick and you want to have experience shooting at those distances. All the calibers out there, you'll have to choose which one is right for you. You already seem to shoot pretty much so you know the time invested in getting zeroed.
    I probably would give myself a good year before I started hunting. The skill doesn't run in my family and I don't really know anyone that does. I do have a scope for my 10/22 so I have dabbled with sighting it. Unfortunately the scope sucks since I bought it from walmart. It shoots extremely low(even at its highest setting with elevation). I'm more accurate with the iron sights and I've since bought an optic which is even more accurate even at 100 yards. I generally use that rifle fot plinking and not so much precision shooting past 25 yards. I'll eventually get a bolt action 22 for more long distance shooting and possibly hunting small game.
    Just building the collection 1 gun at a time.

(Erie County)

I've been looking into .22 revolvers lately myself.

I'd save your money for ammo and keep shooting the 10/22. You want to get your rifle shooting down. Pistol won't really help much. With the savings buy a nice bolt action center fire with a good scope and you will never have to replace it

(Schuylkill County)

I applaud you're ethics sir, I've seen too many people buy a rifle shoot 3 rounds @ 100 yds and think they're ready to go shoot a deer. If you would like a recommendation for a good 22 bolt action, I will suggest you take a look at the CZ trainer. It's got iron sights that are adjustable, in 25 yard increments, out to 200 yds. Picked up one for right around $350 brand new from a dealer. It's a tack driver. If you want optics they can be mounted, but it usually means removing the rear sight.