Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default PA Firearm purchase denied

I was denied by the PA Checks System to purchase a 22 cal rifle.
    I was charged in 2011 with a second DUI in PA it was a Misdemenor 1 charge.
    Can I restore my pa gun rights?

Default Re: PA Firearm purchase denied

Yeah. Just get an attorney and lots of money. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's pretty much how you'll have to go about it.

(York County)

You will want to receive a pardon from the governor, then you will need to get your record expunged. To do these things your best shot is through an attorney who is familiar with the process.

I am not an attorney, and I don't know the time frames, but it is predictable that you might need to put a few years between your past and your present.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Jefferson County)

And on top of what the guys above said,

They will probably deny your pardon until a substantial amount of time has passed since your conviction. ...very often around 10 years or more after you have completed all terms of the conviction(probation/parole, community service, fines paid, restitution paid, classes attended, etc).

Since your conviction was in 2011, figure sometime around 2021-2025 they might consider your for a pardon.

Now, sometimes they will consider you before such a long period of time if you're an upstanding individual. But the average Joe will have to wait to be considered.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I didnt realizea DUI could make you a prohibited person. when did this start?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I didnt realizea DUI could make you a prohibited person. when did this start?
    At least as far back as 1968 when the Federal Gun Control Act made it illegal for anyone to possess a gun if they were convicted of a crime that could result in a sentence that exceeds 1 year, or exceeds 2 years for state misdemeanors.

PA's M1 has a max possible sentence of 5 years. ...well beyond the 2 year threshold.

PA's DUI laws have changed a few times over the years. The present law is from a change around 2003-2004.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Does any body know anything about a civil rights restoration in PA
    I read you can go to a hearing in open court to get your civil rights restored

(Monroe County)

The form you fill out at the time of purchase asks if you been convicted of a Felony punishable for more than 1 year

(Chester County)

Yeah, sure. Get a lawyer, beg the Governor for forgiveness, blah blah blah...

Here's a thought. Quit drinking and driving. You obviously didn't learn from you're first go around, so how can you be trusted with a gun if you can't be trusted to exercise enough self control to not risk your own life as well as innocent people who happen to be on the road the same time as you when you decide to have just one more for the road. You've been caught twice now, but I would be willing to wager those aren't the only two times in your life you've been drunk behind the wheel.

I'm getting sick of threads with people asking about how to restore their right to keep and bear arms after getting caught disregarding others right to live by having a few too many and then driving. Getting a M1 for your second offense means you were more than twice the legal limit. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Yeah, sure. Get a lawyer, beg the Governor for forgiveness, blah blah blah...

Here's a thought. Quit drinking and driving. You obviously didn't learn from you're first go around, so how can you be trusted with a gun if you can't be trusted to exercise enough self control to not risk your own life as well as innocent people who happen to be on the road the same time as you when you decide to have just one more for the road. You've been caught twice now, but I would be willing to wager those aren't the only two times in your life you've been drunk behind the wheel.

I'm getting sick of threads with people asking about how to restore their right to keep and bear arms after getting caught disregarding others right to live by having a few too many and then driving. Getting a M1 for your second offense means you were more than twice the legal limit. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    +1...

10char

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast