Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Fair value for a S&W 586 no dash model

I'm just curious because I know the Classic line from S&W is going for $700-$800 i believe and this is the real McCoy from 1981. My friend just gave me a call asking me for advise 9mm vs .380. He's heading over to Dunkelbergers in Stroudsburg about doing a trade in. What he plans on trading in is a black powder gun as well as a S&W 586 no dash with perfect bluing, original wood checkered grips in a 6" barrel. He said I can have it if i want but as things go I won't have the cash for another month probably. So off he goes to Stroudsburg with a beautiful less than 100 rounds fired original 1981 owner .357 magnum gun He told me if they don't give him a reasonable offer that he will let me know. I told him to not to take less than $450 for it. This way he gets cash straight up and Dunkelbergers has room for a profit. Hoping he comes back with it. Keeping fingers crossed.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Fair value for a S&W 586 no dash model

I bought 686 with no dash 6" for $449. that was few years ago.
    I traded that for 686-4 with 4"

Be sure that gun has had the recall taken care of. And not rusting under the grip by the rear tang
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I bought 686 with no dash 6" for $449. that was few years ago.
    I traded that for 686-4 with 4"

Be sure that gun has had the recall taken care of. And not rusting under the grip by the rear tang
    I don't believe the "586" had a recall. Correct me if i'm wrong. The 686 i know runs for at least $600+ in current market conditions no matter what version you have. Anyways, good news Dunkelberger's offered my friend $300. They said their policy is to offer half for what they will sell it for. They wouldn't budge so it is going to me, No matter what the fair value is I don't think I can go wrong for $450. If there are any known concerns over the 586 model please post up.

(Montgomery County)

I am pretty sure all of the "L" frames were subject to the recall. There should be an "M" stamp near the model number on the frame if it was recalled and fixed.

Shops will always give terrible prices for guns, they have a business to run and that is understandable. It is best to sell the gun directly to others if you have the time through forums and websites like armslist and gunbroker. By going to the shop you put in a middle man who must get paid because that is business, no one works for free.

Targeted more specifically, something like a no dash 586 in great condition would sell pretty quickly on the Smith and Wesson forum. If you target your sale to the sub-genre of enthusiasts one may get more for the sale.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I am pretty sure all of the "L" frames were subject to the recall. There should be an "M" stamp near the model number on the frame if it was recalled and fixed.
    yep. And just because reacall was from 1989, don't assume that its been done.
    My 686 I bought(with 6" barrel) few years ago weren't done.
    Many people apparently didn't bothered with recall, because issue were only evident when .357mag was shot. .38Special, which is what many people shoots out of .357mag, did not cause the gun to lock up.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Mercer County)

All that needs to done after you own the 586 is to call Smith & Wesson and ask if the 586 has been recalled for the the firing pin bushing. If it has been and it hasn't had the modification done you have to decide if you what the mod or you are happy with the L Frame as is.

You are in a win win situation because if you want the modification done they with do it on their dime. They will send you a shipping label.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!