Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Semiauto shotguns for HD

OK, so I'm in the market for a semiauto shotgun. I already have a pump action shotgun but after talking with some people about the advantages of semiautos for being able to shoot continuously without the use of both hands, and without having to pump properly under pressure, I've concluded that this will be my next purchase.

Like everybody else I have not much money to work with. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the following relatively cheap semiauto shotguns:

Tristar Raptor
    Tristar Viper
    Weatherby SA-459

or any other shotguns that can be had new for about $600 or less. All are made in Turkey but I've heard their production has gotten much better in the last few years.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Semiauto shotguns for HD

You should be able to pick up a new Remington 11-87 new for under $600 and a lot less for a used one. It's a 5+1 semi auto that comes in many varieties to suit your needs. I got the 11-87 turkey super magnum with the (possibly soon to be banned) thumb hole stock for $599 a couple years ago. A quick search on Google showed several dot-com and brick and mortar stores selling several models between $400 - $600.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa-sensai View Post
    OK, so I'm in the market for a semiauto shotgun. I already have a pump action shotgun but after talking with some people about the advantages of semiautos for being able to shoot continuously without the use of both hands, and without having to pump properly under pressure, I've concluded that this will be my next purchase.

Like everybody else I have not much money to work with. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the following relatively cheap semiauto shotguns:

Tristar Raptor
    Tristar Viper
    Weatherby SA-459

or any other shotguns that can be had new for about $600 or less. All are made in Turkey but I've heard their production has gotten much better in the last few years.

A buddy of mine asked me the exact same question, and I asked him if he would prefer a more reliable pump shotgun or a bottom end semi auto which is more likely to fail.

His answer was to get a Mossy 500 (and saved a few bucks at that), but unfortunately if you are dead set on semi than I can't give first hand info on those models.

(Chester County)

I recently bought a Stoeger M2000 for $450+- and am quite pleased. I have had 0 issues with it, which is important to note because early production M2000's had quite a few hiccups. Benelli has bought Stoeger and their guns are now using "Benelli IDS" (inertia drive system), which essentially makes it a more affordable M1/M2.
    Fit and finish are on par with most other Turkish guns, meaning it doesn't fall apart but it's not a show piece either. My model is the pistol grip defense version, with an open choke (not removable). I bought it as a purely defensive shotgun so this is fine for me, but Stoeger makes a couple different versions which have interchangeable chokes.

A couple things to mention:
    The IDS needs recoil to operate. Because of this system any "extras" you add on will dampen recoil and some people have had issues with it failing to cycle after putting everything but the kitchen sink on. I haven't had any of these problems but all I have on it is a flashlight (which IMHO is all you need on a shotgun)
    Also because of the IDS recoil is brutal with 3" shells. I mean it will bruise the hell out of you. I've fired 3" out of my pump, .308s, 7.62x54R, and 45-70, but the recoil on this shotty is the worst I've ever felt. Because of that I now stick with 2 3/4" shells and keep the 3" for my pump action. (2 3/4 is cheaper anyway)

I just looked on Stoeger's website and they're no longer listing the M2000, not sure if they stopped making it or what. But they still list the M3000, which for the life of me I can't tell what's different about it.

(Montgomery County)

Mossberg 930!

A reliable and easy to find semi auto shotgun made in the USA, if that matters. Whatever you go with, make sure to practice shooting, reloading and handling it on a regular basis.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Mossberg 930!

A reliable and easy to find semi auto shotgun made in the USA, if that matters. Whatever you go with, make sure to practice shooting, reloading and handling it on a regular basis.
    I just picked up Mossy 930SPX. Once I break it in, she'll reside next to my bed!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I think I would feel better with a gas operated semi auto vs a recoil operated for self defense. I would be concerned about a possible FTF due to "limp wristing" when firing from the pistol grip or from the hip. Not sure if this is a valid concern, but it is a thought which has crossed my mind more than once. Maybe someone with more experience could shed some light on that issue.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Mossberg 930!

I concur, I heard good things about the 930. Last I saw they cost around $600.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Bucks County)

For in the home id stick with a pump shotgun, there is nothing more universal than the sound of racking that gun...

Just train with the gun you want to use for SD and the "pump" under pressure should not be as big of an issue as you're thinking it may be (without training yes, but with training it shouldnt)....

I really dont see a need for a semi inside the home

(York County)

I'm not against a semi-auto shotgun for home defense, but I would prefer a pump gun. A time-tested, reliable, pump like a 500 series Mossy.

I just don't see shooting a semi-12 one handed very sucessfully. I don't see how manuevering around with one with only one had would be a good choice. If one handed shooting is a concern, I would think a good handgun would be a far better choice. I would choose the pump 12 based on the fact that I do have 2 good hands.

As far as pumping properly under stress, training is the answer to that. It is one of the simplest, user-friendly actions out there.

I also don't see buying a Turkish or Chinese made semi-auto when I can buy an American made pump gun for a similar cost, but that may be personal prefernce and a little patriotic bias.
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; February 20th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast