Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default SigSauer P220 SAO

I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these. [full size] I've read these pistols are the best thing since sliced bread.
    Are they that good? I would hope so, they certainly aren't cheap. While I own a couple polymer pistols, I'm more partial to all metal guns. I've never owned an alloy framed pistol. It might be time.
    Sadly I can't even find one to look at.

My other option is a commander size 1911. Don't have one of them either. I just now discovered the Sig carry ''Nightmare'', looks very cool! Comments on either is welcome.
    What can I say, I'm looking to add something to the flock. I even considered buying an AR, but I'm not much of a rifle guy.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Default Re: SigSauer P220 SAO

I've never fired a P220 SAO, but my brother has a P220 Elite, and it is the bees knees. It feels great in my hands, and points perfectly for me. Also, its stupid accurate. Its only downfall, is that it is fairly big, and its heavy. The grip is fairly fat, probably wouldn't work well for someone with smaller hands. This doesn't bother me at all, but if you're used to polymer guns, just know that its going to feel heavy. I've heard that the triggers on the SAO Sigs are really nice, but I've never experienced one. I don't mind the standard trigger, the DA pull is long and fairly heavy, but smooth. SA pull is nice, and I actually prefer the SA pull on the non-SRT models better, there is less creep.

(Philadelphia County)

My most recent purchase is a Sig P220 Carry Elite. I really like it a lot.

(Chester County)

I love Sigs in general, but the trigger on the SAO really made me hate this gun. If you're picturing a 1911-trigger on a Sig, that's not what you're getting at all.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a regular KC coded P220 and LOVE it...but yeah, not sure I would like a SAO version.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    What can I say, I'm looking to add something to the flock. I even considered buying an AR, but I'm not much of a rifle guy.
    If I had to shell out $1200 for a gun, it would be for an AR, 10 out of 10 times. It just doesn't qualify as your basic rifle, IMO, but that's a whole other subject matter.

If you're trying to decide between the two pistols, then you do have a dilemma. There are more than one 1911 verses P220 articles floating around and they all seem to end the same...'both are excellent choices'.

Just off the top of my head, there are a couple pluses and negatives with each, in my limited mind, but the negatives are minor at best. You cannot accessorize the Sig very much, and the stock SAO trigger is all there is. Best you can hope for is for someone to take a little weight out of it if you want it lighter. 5lbs ain't the end of the world, but it's not where I'd want a SAT with an external safety. The relatively long reset for a SA trigger is there to stay. Speaking of the safety, it's been documented that the safety on the P220 SAO can get flipped off, accidentally, while carrying, IWB, so keep that in mind. I've no experience with carrying the Sig SAO, but thought I'd throw that out there. Also, if you permanently change the appearance of the Sig in any way, you wreck the resale value. Negs with the 1911 is you got to ante up to get a good one out of the box. Probably gonna run you more than the Sig. When I say good, I mean one that needs no tuning and isn't cast. I know cast doesn't suck, but it's cast. Well, that just about does it for the negs., on to the pluses...uh, don't have that kinda of time to list them all for each gun. Both equally qualify for the epitome of the common handgun with a shit ton of good things going for both. I say to rig one of the lottos up there and get both. If you are on a budget, then good luck deciding.

On a side note, you can get an inexpensive commander/mid size 1911, doctor it a little, and have a brilliant shooting handgun for much less than the Sig. Total quality may not be there, but some quality with 1911's (or other handguns) is simply too much. As far as the Nightmare, I wouldn't buy one unless I inspected the heck out of it, first. Sig's 1911 is almost turning into the P250 BS, IMO.
    Last edited by harold63; March 1st, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Saw this while shopping: http://www.armslist.com/posts/106838...p220-sao-match It's a good deal, IMO, and shows you how this gun will hold its value. Downside to this pistol is it has the 5" barrel. I'd just cut a hole in the bottom of my holster and call it a day.
    Last edited by harold63; March 1st, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    As far as the Nightmare, I wouldn't buy one unless I inspected the heck out of it, first. Sig's 1911 is almost turning into the P250 BS, IMO.
    As with everything this member posts, take with a SERIOUS grain of salt. I actually OWN a Sig 1911, an Extreme model. It has been flawless with JHP's, and aside from light reloads, has been great with them as well. The Sigs I have experience with (P220's and my Extreme 1911) seem to need stout rounds to function correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    As with everything this member posts, take with a SERIOUS grain of salt.
    Instigating again...you don't give up. If he buys a nightmare, he'll probably be on here asking WTF is going on with my gun, just like half the people do that buy a Sig 1911. Like I said before, don't take my word for it, do the research.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Instigating again...you don't give up. If he buys a nightmare, he'll probably be on here asking WTF is going on with my gun, just like half the people do that buy a Sig 1911 Total bs, as usual . Like I said before, don't take my word for it, do the research.
    Not instigating, just putting the asterisk that should go next to all your posts. "Warning: this poster speaks alot(ALOT) whereas he has no actual experience". It's a shame Florida doesn't have a forum where you can go and spread your "knowledge", or maybe they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast