Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Whats the Best .38 +P for A woman?

I am wanting to get my wife a new .38spl (+P preferred) carry gun, she is smaller and not the strongest farmers daughter on the block. So I need one that has the lightest, shortest, and smoothest trigger pull. Also I cant break the bank on this gun. I was looking at the ruger LCR, or a S&W, maybe a taurus. Whatever you guys suggest around the $500 range or less...

Bring on the advise, thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Whats the Best .38 +P for A woman?

My best recommendation is to find a range that rents handguns and try out a couple to see what fits her best. A heavier (steel frame) revolver will offer reduced felt recoil but may be tough to carry. Lighter frames will be the opposite, easier to carry but with greater recoil.

Personally I think the Smith and Wesson 442 is a great choice in your price range. I have the 340 M&P which is a very similar model in .357 and I love it. The trigger is a lot better (smoother double action pull and crisper break) than the LCR, which is what I was considering before settling on the smith. It's overall size is also much smaller which helps with concealment.

Taurus makes some quality revolvers that are essentially Smith and Wesson copies.

Personally I find the overall quality of S&W revolvers to be top notch, which is why I stick with them.

(Montgomery County)

I would recommend any of the airweight J-frames from S&W.
    I would narrow it down to one with a shrouded or bobbed hammer, or hammerless. No exposed hammer cannot get snagged on clothes or on something in a purse.

I carry a 638-3. The hammer is shrouded so it is safe, but you can shoot single action if you really want. I also like the idea of seeing the hammer move as I pull the trigger.

I seldom shoot +P in it. It is just not comfortable. My SD rounds are JHP in +P, but I don't use them on the range for practice.

(Lancaster County)

This is a Taurus model 85UL. There is no reason a female couldn't handle it. You will hear from the SandW and Ruger die hards but this one will keep up with any of those for far less money. I would pretty much bet that whatever deal you come across she will be satisfied

(Tioga County)

You're asking for a lot. Any J-frame Smith will be a great choice, but....

Even in a steel frame, .38 Spl will have a snappy recoil, which will take some getting used to. Moving to an Airweight (i.e 442) will only increase the felt recoil. I have a 442 that I worked over with springs and some trigger smoothing. The trigger is much lighter now, but there's no getting around the recoil. You might give some thought to a K-frame. One more round and few ounces makes a difference.

If you can find a gun to try, do so before looking for a gun to buy.

--Phil

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHfire View Post
    I am wanting to get my wife a new .38spl (+P preferred) carry gun, she is smaller and not the strongest farmers daughter on the block. So I need one that has the lightest, shortest, and smoothest trigger pull. Also I cant break the bank on this gun. I was looking at the ruger LCR, or a S&W, maybe a taurus. Whatever you guys suggest around the $500 range or less...

Bring on the advise, thanks!
    Has she indicated what she would like? Does she have an interest in guns or will it be just a tool for her? What has she fired and felt comfortable with? If you can answer some of these questions you will be a bit closer to an answer to yours.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(York County)

look for an old ruger SP101 in blue steel with 2.5" barrel. nothing better or more reliable. around $350 before the panic. be patient adn they will come down..

(Montgomery County)

Do not buy a small light weight .38 revolver! Snub nosed revolvers are for experts ONLY. Doubt me? Shoot a cylinder full at your local range and try to put all five rounds in a three inch circle at ten yards. Hint: it is about impossible for anyone but a seasoned expert.

Let your wife do the shopping. If you are stuck on the revolver idea (many people think revolvers are good for women when in reality a revolver is a mans gun) a 3-4 inch K frame smith and wesson is a great gun for any beginner. Buying a gun is personal, it has to "fit." Small revolvers like the Ruger LCR have heavy recoil (they hurt more than my .454 to shoot), stiff triggers, small sights, limited ammunition capacity and multi step reload procedures.

Small revolvers are not for the inexperienced.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

+P will do NOTHING in a handgun. The is not enough barrel to gain any kind of velocity.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Has she indicated what she would like? Does she have an interest in guns or will it be just a tool for her? What has she fired and felt comfortable with? If you can answer some of these questions you will be a bit closer to an answer to yours.
    Your right I should have went more in depth. She does want to carry, she brought up the idea of getting her CC permit, to me. I have taking her out to do some blasting a few times and she really enjoys shooting. But most of my full size semi's are hard for her small/short hands to pull the trigger. So she shoots my 22's the whole time and loves that. I think she can handle a .38 after some range time.
    I would never just wrap the gun up in a box and give it to her and say here ya go load it and put it in your purse... She will be taught and get some good range time with it first. The only reason I mentioned a +p gun is because there will be times that I might steal it for evening or so and have some +p ammo for a full size s&w .38 I have.
    My good friend has a air lite scandium framed .357 mag and I emptied it as fast as you can pull the trigger because he said I couldnt. I will say that, that gun kicked more than any 500 or 460 I have fired, Crazy! but surprisingly I put all rounds on target and the gun shot well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast