I recently emailed Rep. Lynda Culver of the 108th district about HB 518 and 521. Here's her response:

"February 26, 2013

Thank you for contacting me regarding opposition to House Bill 518 sponsored by Representative Ron Waters. This piece of legislation seeks to remove protections currently established by the recently enacted castle doctrine. Your comments are welcome and I appreciate this opportunity to respond.

As you are aware House Bill 40 was approved by Governor Corbett on June 28, 2011 and signed into law as Act 10 of 2011. The law, also known as the Castle Doctrine, creates a presumption in law that an attacker or intruder intends to do great bodily harm and therefore force, including deadly force, may be used to protect oneself, one’s family and others in the face of an attack while at home or in an occupied vehicle. The presumption also applies if a person is trying to unlawfully remove an occupant, against the occupant’s will, from a home or vehicle. Further, the bill offers specific protection against civil liability for the lawful use of force in self-defense.

I voted in favor of House Bill 40 and believe the protections provided by the Castle Doctrine legislation should remain. This will assure that law-abiding citizens have the explicit legal right to protect themselves and their families if the need should arise.

​You had also mentioned House Bill 521 that was introduced by Representative Ron Waters. This legislation seeks to require liability insurance for those licensed to carry a firearm and threatens confiscation if it is not acquired. This bill was referred to the House Judiciary Committee. I would not support this.

If you would like to access the text of this bill, or any other legislative proposal, please visit the General Assembly’s website at www.legis.state.pa.us

Sincerely,

Lynda Schlegel Culver"